Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Deborah Ann Schwengel, M.D.
Director, Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine Training and Residency Program
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Expertise: Anesthesiology, Medical Education, Pediatric Sleep Apnea
Research Interests: Graduate medical education; International adoption medicine; Anesthetic care for the patient undergoing ethanol embolization of vascular malformations; Perioperative care of the pediatric patient with obstructive sleep apnea ...read more
Request an Appointment
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-7609
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Deborah Ann Schwengel is an assistant professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Her areas of clinical expertise include anesthesiology.
Dr. Schwengel serves as the director of the Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine Training and Residency Program. She is interested in innovative ways of teaching adults in residency programs.
She received her undergraduate degree in nursing from Duke University. She earned her M.D. from the University of North Carolina School of Medicine. She completed her residencies at Yale–New Haven Hospital and Johns Hopkins. She performed a fellowship in pediatric critical care medicine at Johns Hopkins. Dr. Schwengel joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 1994.
Dr. Schwengel's research interests include perioperative care of pediatric patients with obstructive sleep apnea and anesthetic care for patients undergoing ethanol embolization of vascular malformations. As the former director of Remote Anesthesiology, she also maintains an interest in and speaks on the topic of care for the patient in Out-of-OR locations. She also has a special interest in international adoption medicine and graduate medical education.
Dr. Schwengel serves on the Continuing Medical Education Advisory Board at Johns Hopkins and is the co-author of The Johns Hopkins Anesthesiology Handbook: Mobile Medicine Series. She has been recognized by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education with a Parker J. Palmer Courage to Teach Award in 2013. She founded the International Adoption Clinic of the Kennedy Krieger Institute and the Johns Hopkins Children’s Center in 1999.
- Director, Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine Training and Residency Program
- Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of North Carolina School of Medicine (1986)
- Yale-New Haven Hospital / Pediatrics (1989)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Anesthesiology (1991)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine (1991)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology-General (1993)
Research & Publications
Dr. Schwengel’s research topics include the hemodynamic effects of ethanol embolization for the treatment of vascular malformations; obstructive sleep apnea in children; the evaluation of a novel educational curriculum for anesthesiology residents; the development of a curriculum in disaster preparedness for anesthesiology residents; and the evaluation of a curriculum in systems-based practice for anesthesiology residents.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Garcia-Tomas V, Schwengel D, Ouanes JP, Hall S, Hanna MN. "Improved residents' knowledge after an advanced regional anesthesia education program." Middle East J Anesthesiol. 2014 Feb;22(4):419-27.
Ouanes JP, Schwengel D, Mathur V, Ahmed OI, Hanna MN. "Curriculum development for an advanced regional anesthesia education program: one institution's experience from apprenticeship to comprehensive teaching." Middle East J Anesthesiol. 2014 Feb;22(4):413-8.
Schwengel DA, Dalesio NM, Stierer TL. "Pediatric obstructive sleep apnea." Anesthesiol Clin. 2014 Mar;32(1):237-61. doi: 10.1016/j.anclin.2013.10.012.
Schwengel DA, Winters BD, Berkow LC, Mark L, Heitmiller ES, Berenholtz SM. "A novel approach to implementation of quality and safety programmes in anaesthesiology." Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol. 2011 Dec;25(4):557-67. doi: 10.1016/j.bpa.2011.08.002. Review.
Schwengel DA, Sterni LM, Tunkel DE, Heitmiller ES. "Perioperative management of children with obstructive sleep apnea." Anesth Analg. 2009 Jul;109(1):60-75. doi: 10.1213/ane.0b013e3181a19e21. Review.
Activities & Honors
- Parker J. Palmer Courage to Teach Award, Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, 2013
- Outstanding Achievement in Education Award (Educational Innovation), Institute for Excellence in Education, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2013
- American Society of Anesthesiologists, 1997
- Association of Anesthesia Core Program Directors, 2008
- Society for Education in Anesthesia, 2007
- Society of Pediatric Anesthesiologists, 2000
- Asthma Clinical Pathway Committee, Johns Hopkins Children’s Center, 1999 - 2001
- Clinical Competence Committee, Department of Anesthesiology, 1994
- Continuing Medical Education Advisory Board, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Education Committee, Department of Anesthesiology, 1994
- Intradepartmental Compliance Committee, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, 1995
- Sedation Committee, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2003 - 2007
- Supply and Equipment Committee, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, 2002 - 2007
Videos & Media
Lectures and Presentations
Creation of a Unique, Multimodal, ACGME-Compliant Curriculum in Anesthesiology
Grand Rounds Lectures , http://webcast , jhu (01/08/2012)