Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
David Bruce Hellmann, M.D.
Chairman, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Giant Cell Arteritis, Rheumatology, Takayasu's Arteritis, Wegener's Granulomatosis
Research Interests: Evaluation of patients with Takayasus arteritis and temporal arteritis
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-6193
5501 Hopkins Bayview Circle
Asthma and Allergy Center 1B.1
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Hellmann is one of Johns Hopkins best physicians, teachers, and program builders. He holds the Aliki Perroti endowed Chair, recognizing his leadership in education. Dr. Hellmann’s clinical care and research focus is on vasculitis. Over the last four years, Dr. Hellmann has evaluated over 200 patients with systemic vasculitis. Areas of interest have included Wegener’s granulomatosis, temporal arteritis, Takayasu’s arteritis, and polyarteritis nodosa. Dr. Hellmann is director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Innovative Medicine which promotes patient-centered care through the creative collaboration of research, teaching, and patient care programs.
- Chairman, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Aliki Perroti Professor of Medicine
- Professor of Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1977)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Medicine (1980)
- University of California San Francisco School of Medicine (1982)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1980, 2009)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Rheumatology (1982)
Research & Publications
Clinical Trial KeywordsTakayasus arteritis, Wegeners granulomatosis, Giant cell arteritis
- Levine SM, Hellman DB: Giant cell arteritis. Curr Opin Rheumatol. (In Press 2002).
- Regan MJ, Wood BJ, Hsieh YH, Theodore ML, Quinn TC, Hellman DB, Green WR, Gaydos CA. Stone JH: Chlamydia pneumoniae and Temporal Arteritis: Failure to detect the organism by PCR in 180 cases and controls. Arthritis Rheum (In Press).
- Stone J, Hellmann DB (eds). Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America: Vasculitis. Philadelphia, W.B. Saunders, 2001.
- Scatarige JC, Urban, BA, Hellmann DB, Fishman EK: Threedimensional volumerendering CT angiography in vasculitis: spectrum of disease and clinical utility. J Comput Asst Tomogr 25:598603, 2001.
- Stone JH, Uhlfelder ML, Hellmann DB, Crook S, Bedocs N, Hoffman GS: Etanercept combined with conventional treatment in Wegeners granulomatosis: a six-month openlabel trial to evaluate safety. Arthritis Rheum 44:11491154, 2001.
Activities & Honors
- American College of Rheumatology
- Arthritis Foundation, Maryland Chapter
- American College of Physicians
- International Network for the Study of the Systemic Vasculitides
- Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine
- American Clinical and Climatological Association
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- Association of Professors of Medicine