Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Ulrike Maria Hamper, M.B.A., M.D.
Medical Director, Radiologic Technology Program in Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Johns Hopkins Schools of Medical Imaging
Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Languages: English, German
Expertise: Diagnostic Radiology, Image-Guided Interventional Procedures, Obstetrical Ultrasound, Ultrasound, Vascular Ultrasound
Research Interests: Elastography; Thyroid/parathyroid and neck interventions; Thyroid/parathyroid and neck imaging; 3-D ultrasound imaging; Gynecological imaging; Genitourinary imaging ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 443-997-7237
600 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Ulrike M. Hamper is a Professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Department of Radiology and Radiological Science. She also holds appointments in the Department of Pathology and Department of Urology.
Dr. Hamper is the Director of the Division of Ultrasound as well as the Medical Director of the Radiologic Technology Program in Diagnostic Medical Sonography at the Johns Hopkins Schools of Medical Imaging.
Her clinical interests include image-guided interventional procedures and encompass the entire spectrum of sonographic studies. These include vascular, OB/GYN, abdominal, genitourinary, pediatric and musculoskeletal ultrasound, as well as imaging of the thyroid, neck and scrotum.
Dr. Hamper earned her medical degree at Germany’s Thesis University of Bonn. She completed a pathology residency at the University of Cologne and a rotating medical/surgical internship at Bonn’s Malteser Hospital—both also in Germany. At The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Dr. Hamper completed a residency in diagnostic radiology and fellowship in ultrasound, computed tomography, nuclear medicine and cardiovascular radiology.
She also holds a Master of Science in Business degree and an M.B.A. in medical services management, both from Johns Hopkins University.
Certified in diagnostic radiology by the American Board of Radiology, Dr. Hamper has published scores of articles, conducted approximately 20 funded research studies and presented nearly 100 invited lectures.
- Medical Director, Radiologic Technology Program in Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Johns Hopkins Schools of Medical Imaging
- Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
- Professor of Pathology
- Professor of Urology
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- Medizinische Fakultat Rheinische (1977)
- University of Cologne School of Medicine / Pathology (1979)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Radiology (1982)
- American Board of Radiology / Diagnostic Radiology (1982)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Dubinsky TJ, Garra BS, Reading C, Moshiri M, Baltarovitch O, Harris R, Angtuaco T, Scoutt L, Pattiel HJ, Nazarian LS, Hashimoto B, Hamper UM. "Society of radiologists in ultrasound resident curriculum." Ultrasound Q. 2013 Dec;29(4):275-91. doi: 10.1097/RUQ.0000000000000045. No abstract available.
- Porter KK, Fradin J, Hamper UM. "Right ovarian steroid tumor (not otherwise specified)." Ultrasound Q. 2013 Sep;29(3):227-9. doi: 10.1097/RUQ.0b013e3182a1b8f8. No abstract available.
- Lee CS, Hamper UM. "Dissection of the proper hepatic artery with a replaced left hepatic artery." Ultrasound Q. 2012 Sep;28(3):193-5. doi: 10.1097/RUQ.0b013e318262cd1e. No abstract available.
- Baltarowich OH, Scoutt LM, Hamper UM. "Nongynecologic findings on pelvic ultrasound: focus on gastrointestinal diseases." Ultrasound Q. 2012 Jun;28(2):65-85. doi: 10.1097/RUQ.0b013e31824f933a. Review.
- Guerrerio AL, Mattis L, Conner KG, Hampsey J, Stasinopoulos DM, DeJong R, Boctor EM, Sheth S, Hamper UM, Scheimann AO. "Oral choline supplementation in children with intestinal failure." J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2011 Jul;53(1):115-9. doi: 10.1097/MPG.0b013e31821404d4.