According to the American Heart Association, stroke affects nearly 500,000 individuals a year and is the leading cause of disability in older adults. Another 1.7 million people sustain some form of traumatic brain injury. For most people, surviving a stroke or traumatic brain injury (TBI) is just the first step in recovery, and nearly every patient will need some form of rehabilitation in order to restore function and thrive.
Our rehabilitation team understands there are many challenges for patients recovering from brain injury or stroke. Whether you or your loved one require one or multiple services, we will develop a customized rehabilitation plan to meet your unique needs. We work with patients and their families to increase abilities and improve quality of life.
To meet these needs, The Outpatient NeuroRehabilitation Program (ONRP) at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, is designed as a specialized, interdisciplinary program that serves people with acquired brain injuries and their families.
Conditions we treat include:
- Balance disorders
- Behavioral problems (impulsivity, disinhibition, low frustration tolerance)
- Chemo brain (cognitive issues post chemotherapy)
- Cognitive disorders
- Emotional adjustment to disability
- Language disorders (aphasia)
- Sensory disorders
- Speech disorders
- Swallowing disorders
- Walking difficulty
This multi-faceted program is staffed by specialists in brain dysfunction who recognize the unique needs of each patient. Each individual's treatment plan is tailored to achieve their goals of restoring function and returning to important life activities.
Our program includes:
- Cognitive rehabilitation
- Neuropsychological evaluation
- Gait assessment and training
- Endurance training
- Fatigue management training
- Speech and language evaluation and treatment
- Activities of daily living training
- Swallowing problems evaluation and treatment
- Low vision rehabilitation
- Wheel-chair evaluations and training
- Work conditions and evaluations
- Rehabilitation engineering
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation can help
Whatever your needs, our team can help. We offer:
- Physiatry – Rehabilitation Physicians
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech-Language Pathology
- Rehabilitation Psychology & Neuropsychology
Articles about The Outpatient NeuroRehabilitation Program
To read more about the Outpatient NeuroRehabilitation Program at Johns Hopkins Hospital, please see the following news articles:
- After the Big Bang: an article about rehabilitation after traumatic brain injury.
- Innovations in PM&R: articles about advancing research in brain injury and stroke recovery
- From Wheelchair to Triathalons: a dramatic story about one man's journey from paraplegia to full recovery
- Back in the Swim: Patient Corey Davis gets back to his favorite activities post traumatic brain injury