Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Whether your neck or back pain is caused by injury, a medical condition, or surgery, our team specializes in delivering the most effective treatment techniques for maximizing your daily activities and minimizing your pain.
Today, nearly 80 percent of adults experience back pain at some point in their lives, and 50 percent experience neck pain. These two afflictions are among the most common reasons for doctor visits and contribute heavily to disability, lost work days and high cost of healthcare.
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation specialists at Johns Hopkins understand the debilitating effects of back and neck pain. Our team of specially-trained physicians and therapists work closely with you, your family and your primary care provider to develop a treatment plan that works for you.
Back and neck pain can be caused by a number of injuries, illnesses or conditions, including:
- Automobile injuries/whiplash
- Back pain or injuries
- Bone spurs
- Cervical spondylosis
- Disc disease or herniation
- Neck pain or injuries
- Pinched nerves
- Spinal stenosis
Symptoms of low back pain can include:
- Muscle spasms, cramping or stiffness
- Leg pain, tingling, numbness or weakness
- Pain and stiffness that gets worse over time and lasts longer than 6 months
Symptoms of neck pain can include:
- Numbness or weakness in your neck, arms, hands, legs or feet
- Pain in your neck, shoulder, arm or hand
- Problems walking, including a "spastic gait"
- Reduced range of motion in your neck
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation can help
There are many options for treating back and neck pain - both medically and surgically. The most common types of back and neck pain usually respond well to home care and therapy. Our team of physicians and therapists can help design a treatment program that may include:
- Pain medication
- Exercises and stretching
- Physical therapy
- Short-term immobilization
- Steroid or other pain-management injections
Whatever your needs, we can help. We offer: