I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Join us in our paid training opportunity and advance your career!
About the Position
This is a position for Certified Nursing Assistants who are interested in taking their career to the next level as a Patient Care Technician (PCT). You will begin by working as a full-time Nursing Assistant at the hospital, then learning Patient Care Technician skills, and finally advancing to a full-time Patient Care Technician (PCT) position at HCGH. CNA's accepted into the program will learn PCT skills such as phlebotomy, IV initiation, 12-lead EKG, and foley catheter insertion after successful completion of a minimum 90 day review period.
Positions are posted on the hospital website when available.
- Nursing Assistant Duties: Employees gain hospital nursing assistant experience in the float pool before beginning training as a Patient Care Technician. As a Nursing Assistant, job duties include primarily providing 1:1 care to patients who are high risk for falls or are considered suicidal. During times in which no patient requires 1:1 care, Nursing Assistants provide certified nursing assistant skills to a group of patients.
- Classroom Training: Nursing Assistants must successfully pass a minimum 90-day review period to enter PCT training. Part-time classroom training, which is paid for by the hospital, will be provided at Howard Community College (HCC) in the Advanced Patient Care Skills: Theory class, which typically meets Tuesday and Thursday evenings. During this two to three month classroom training, participants continue to work as Nursing Assistants at HCGH with the full-time work/class schedule coordinated by the manager.
- Promotion to PCT: After successful completion of the PCT course, Nursing Assistants apply for available full-time (72-80 hours per pay period) PCT positions at the hospital and must pass the HCGH PCT test and interview. Approximately four weeks of PCT orientation and on-site clinical training follows.
- Employment Agreement: Employees agree to work as a full-time (72-80 hours every two weeks) PCT for a minimum of one year. Failure to meet this commitment will result in an obligation to repay the cost of classroom and clinical training.
- H.S. diploma or GED
- Current Maryland Certified Nursing Assistant license
- Acute care nursing assistant experience strongly preferred
- Ability to pass English proficiency exam
Howard County General Hospital
5755 Cedar Lane Columbia, MD 21044