Saturday, July 13, 2013
9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Medical Pavilion at Howard County, Parking Lot
10710 Charter Drive, Columbia, MD 21044
Questions: HCGH Marketing & Communications, 410-740-7810
As part of Howard County General Hospital’s 40th anniversary celebration, the hospital will hold a free Family Health and Wellness Fair July 13 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the parking lot at Medical Pavilion at Howard County adjacent to the hospital.
The health fair will offer free health screenings and exhibits; health information; interactive entertainment coordinated by the Columbia Association; and free food, including an appearance by the KIND bar snack truck. Attendees also will receive a complimentary collapsible water bottle. A cake cutting conducted by HCGH President and CEO Victor Broccolino and local politicians, along with the distribution of mini cupcakes provided by Charm City Cupcakes, will take place at noon.
40th Anniversary Sponsor:
Highlights for this year’s event include:
- A glaucoma screening conducted by Wilmer Eye Institute
- An asthma screening conducted by the Allergy & Asthma Clinical Center
- An ABI pressure test, which measures arterial blood flow, provided by Maryland Primary Care Physicians
- Body Mass Index (BMI) measurements, blood pressure screenings and a kids’ nutrition game provided by the HCGH Wellness Center
- A limited skin cancer screening provided by Medical & Aesthetic Dermatology, LLC
- An eyelid cancer screening as well as plastic and reconstructive eyelid consultation by Dr. Vanessa Lima
- Hypertension and diabetes screening provided by Paraclete Care, Inc.
- Musculoskeletal screenings of joints, ultrasound screenings, and information regarding the benefits of exercise for health provided by Maryland Spine and Sports Medicine
- Information about the HPV vaccine as well as midwifery and OB/GYN services provided by Signature OB/GYN
- Back and neck care information provided by Dr. Lawrence Shin with Orthopaedic Spine Surgery
- Information about obstetrics, gynecology, cardiology, pediatric dentistry, gastroenterology, orthopedics, pancreatic cancer, pain management, psychiatry, urology and Alzheimer’s disease
- Health information from Johns Hopkins Outpatient Pharmacy, the Joint Academy and the Claudia Mayer Cancer Resource Center
- Pulmonary function testing will be offered by Lawrence S. Schieken, M.D.
In addition, local nonprofit organizations will provide information about accessing community and health resources as well as interactive activities, including Cardiovascular Specialists of Central Maryland’s walk-through heart exhibit. The Howard County Police Department also will share information about its Youth Collision Avoidance Training, the Police Pace Race and other youth programs.
The Columbia Lions Club will offer a vision screening as well as collect old eyeglasses and hearing aids at the health fair for recycling.