Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Analytics Leadership in Patient Safety Program
The Analytics Leadership in Patient Safety (ALPS) program is a nine-month training program open to Johns Hopkins Medicine employees interested in learning to apply advanced clinical analytics to transform the safety and quality of care. Organized by the Armstrong Institute and the Johns Hopkins Medicine Technology Innovation Center, this hands-on program educates participants on the technologies deployed at Johns Hopkins Medicine for analytics as well as the theories and methodologies related to health care data compilation, analysis and use. ALPS fellows will work closely with a mentor and are expected to complete original projects, evaluate their impact upon clinical practice and submit a manuscript of their findings to a peer-reviewed journal.
Participants must be able to devote six weeks of time over the course of the nine-month program. The yearly tuition for the program is $4,000 and may be covered by the sponsoring department.
For a detailed program description, please email Julia Brown at TIC@jhmi.edu.
- Build comprehensive knowledge of business intelligence applied to health care.
- Describe sources of health care data to improve care quality and delivery and to support institutional operations.
- Identify methodological practices to quantitatively and qualitatively interpret data.
- Define metrics for evaluating past, present and future clinical and operational outcomes.
- Demonstrate methods for compiling data that may be broadly utilized.
- Present compiled data for meaningful use in regular clinical or administrative practice.
- Apply theories and methods of health care analytics to develop a proof-of-concept research project.
- Cultivate an enticing academic environment to support high-quality health care analytical practice and research.
Applications for the 2015-2016 cohort, which will begin in September 2015, are due July 15.
To apply, please email the following to Julia Brown at TIC@jhmi.edu:
- A letter of recommendation from your manager
- A personal statement describing your career goals and how the ALPS fellowship will enable you to achieve these goals
Your manager will need to protect 10 percent of your time for nine months for the fellowship. For your practicum, you will lead a research project within your area of responsibility. You will be required to write a monthly update for your manager.
Participants will be notified by August 15.
Quotes from Past Participants
“Joining a multidisciplinary cohort of like-minded professionals to expand your network and gain a broader understanding of some of the most exciting analytics projects at JHM. The multidisciplinary nature is not only clinical, but also a healthy and complimentary mix of clinicians, analysts, business managers, and technical professionals. Enjoying weekly one hour sessions with salient topics, and also having the opportunity to gain feedback from the group on your own projects.” – Kelly Daley, ‘14