Depending on the level of care, Wilmer Eye Institute can offer a same-day appointment if you call before 12 p.m. A next-day appointment will typically be offered for calls after 12 p.m.
What should I expect when calling for a same-day appointment?
When you call, our operators will identify available same-day appointments across our nine satellite locations.
During your phone call our operators will:
- Ask if you are an existing or past Wilmer patient, and will obtain information such as your name, address, phone number and insurance carrier.
- Identify the most appropriate doctor to serve you based on questions about your symptoms. If there are appointments available at several locations, you may have the opportunity to choose the location most convenient for you.
- Ensure that if you are having an eye emergency, you are immediately referred to the Wilmer Eye Emergency Service.
Are there any conditions to getting a same-day appointment?
If you receive a same-day appointment we cannot guarantee that it will be:
- With your current eye doctor, or preferred eye doctor.
- At the location of your choice.
All same-day appointments are subject to availability of doctors across all of our nine satellite locations, and will vary based on their clinical specialty. If you prefer to see a specific doctor or prefer a certain location, you may decline the same-day appointment and schedule the next available appointment based on your preferences.
Are there alternatives for immediate care?
If you are experiencing an eye emergency, you should visit the Wilmer Eye Emergency Service, which is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at The Johns Hopkins Hospital's Adult and Pediatric Emergency Departments.
Referring physicians can access emergency personnel via the:
Hopkins Access Line (HAL)*: 800-765-5447or 410-955-9444 (In Baltimore)
*Only for use by healthcare practitioners in the Continental U.S.
If you have general questions about The Wilmer Eye Institute’s services, you may contact us at email@example.com.