I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Apply to Become a Johns Hopkins Volunteer
Please carefully read the following steps to become a volunteer at The Johns Hopkins Hopsital:
- Adults 18 years of age and older must submit an application and schedule a screening interview with the Department of Volunteer Services. We are located on the East Baltimore Campus at 600 North Wolfe Street, Carnegie 173, Baltimore, Maryland 21287. To schedule your interview, please call 410-955-5924. A reference and criminal background check are required as part of the selection process.
High school students at least 15 years of age can apply to our Summer Junior Volunteer Program beginning in January through March. High school students who have been pre-selected for a position can submit a preplaced application.
All candidates who have been pre-selected by a department for a volunteer position can submit a preplaced application. (High school students must also submit a Parental Consent Form) and skip to step #3. All candidates interested in volunteering in the Emergency Department need to apply here. All candidates interested in volunteering with animal-assisted therapy need to apply here.
- Meet with the department supervisor from your potential volunteer assignment site. (You will need to schedule this interview.) Your Supervisor should fill out a Placement Interview Form which can be submitted through the online volunteer portal.
- Look for an email from Volunteer Services with instructions for getting your JHH identification badge. This will include instructions for the online training courses and your occupational health clearance. You can expect to receive this email within two to three business days after submitting your Application and Placement Form.
Note: You will need to get proof of TB clearance and Flu vaccination from Occupational Health and turn documentation into the Department of Volunteer Services. Occupational Health is located at Church Home in room 421 (98 N. Broadway). The office hours are 7:30am to 4:00pm, Monday through Friday. You can contact Occupational Health at 410-955-6211 with questions regarding your TB test.
- Obtain a volunteer badge card from the Department of Volunteer Services and proceed to ID/Parking Office which is located in Harvey, room 108.
Note: You must present a valid picture identification card before getting your JHH volunteer badge. The hours of operation for the id/parking office are 8:00am to 4:00pm, Monday through Friday.
- Begin your volunteer assignment!
To volunteer at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, you must meet the following requirements:
- Volunteers 18 years of age and older must submit the Application in order to begin the interview/selection process
- You will need to commit to at least four hours of volunteer service a week for a minimum of 75 hours
- All volunteers must receive clearance from JHH Occupational Health office for TB test, immunizations (2 MMR, 2 Varicella, 3 Hep-B, 1Tdap or 5 dTap, and Flu Vaccination during season) prior to service
- Complete online orientation, training courses, and the confidentiality agreement
- All volunteers within the Hospital must comply with the 2018-19 flu campaign for employees
Pre-selected volunteers must complete the following steps:
- Submit the Application and Placement Form
- Commit to a minimum of 75 hours of service
- Receive a tuberculosis clearance from JHH Occupational Health office
- Provide the Volunteer Services office with a copy of MMR, varicella and Tdap immunization record if your position requires patient contact
- Complete online orientation training courses and the confidentiality agreement
Contact the Department of Volunteer Services
Please contact the Department of Volunteer Services at 410-955-5924 or email@example.com for more information about volunteering at The Johns Hopkins Hospital.