I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Instructions for Mentors and Preceptors
Many first year medical students have expressed an interest in conducting research during the summer months. As in the past, School of Medicine’s Office of Student Affairs will be able to provide a stipend to first year students for an eight-week experience.
Several changes in recent years are worth noting. All first-year students are now enrolled in a course, Scholarly Concentrations, which guides them through the process of research and other scholarship. You can look forward, therefore, to students who are prepared and motivated to take a project to completion. Many may continue to work on their projects, in a more limited capacity, into their second year of medical school.
Second, the website of potential mentors and faculty has been updated. It is now password-protected, so you should not ever be contacted by students in other locations. Also, you are now given the option of listing yourself on the website as a willing mentor with or without defining specific student projects. We hope this will allow many more of you to sign up and express your willingness to mentor our students.
So, please click the link below and enter in a brief statement about your research for our students. This is a wonderful opportunity for our students and for the faculty.
- The website address is - http://oac.med.jhmi.edu/studentresearchopportunity/ (Please add the web address to your "Favorites" list. Log in using your JHED ID. Your JHED affiliation must be “Faculty” in order to post a mentorship opportunity on this site.
- Faculty Profiles. When you log on, your faculty profile may already be populated. You can update your faculty profile by clicking on ‘Edit’ in the upper right hand corner of the box, or clicking on ‘Update Profile’ on the left-hand menu. Please add a brief description of your research interests and/or projects.
- Posting Student Opportunities. Click on ‘Add Position’ on the left-hand menu. This gives you the opportunity to provide additional details for students to view if you have ideas about specific projects a student might work on with you. The default expiration date for the position will be one year from when you post it, although you will note that you can select a different time frame. You can add as many positions as you like.
- Searching Positions. Students and faculty can search positions by clicking on ‘Search Positions’ on the left-hand side. If you try it, you will see that you (and students) can search by keyword and/or department, on either the faculty profiles or the specific student positions. If you search on yourself, you should find your positions.
- Modifying your Faculty Profile or Student Positions. At any time in the future, you can modify either your faculty profile or a specific student opportunity by logging into the website. If you want to view all your positions, you can click on ‘my positions’ on the left-hand side. This will give you the opportunity to close positions, or to edit their details.
All student applications for research support will require the faculty preceptor to complete and sign a Preceptor Information form. The student will be responsible for providing this form to you. If you have any questions or need help with this process, please call (410-955-3416) or e-mail our office at email@example.com.