I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Created in 2010, the Diversity and Academic Advancement Summer Institute (DAASI) is a partnership between JHUSOM's Office of Student Pipeline Programs and Thread. Thread works with Baltimore City students from Dunbar High School in East Baltimore, The Academy for College and Career Exploration, Frederick Douglass High School, and Digital Harbor High School to provide them with academic and social support through "Families" of mentors and resources (tutoring, college prep, job placement, etc.). Thread Families consist of volunteers primarily from Johns Hopkins' undergraduate, Public Health, Nursing, Medicine, and PhD programs. While Thread engages students for 10 years and provides them with yearlong support, the aim of DAASI is to provide students with exposure to diverse career opportunities during the summer.
- Work towards a more diverse pool of candidates for science and health-related fields through work exposure opportunities for youth in Baltimore City
- Increase Thread youth's personal confidence through skill building and professional development
- Build relationships across lines of difference (race, socioeconomic class, age, neighborhood, gender, etc)
- Expand both partner employer and Thread youth's personal networks through professional opportunities
- Invitation Letter to Hopkins Employers
- Sample Job Descriptions for DAASI Students
- Capstone Examples
- Success Stories
SUMMER JOB PLACEMENT
For summer 2019, partner employers have the option of hosting students for 5 weeks (July 1, 2019 - August 2, 2019) or 8 weeks (June 24, 2019 - August 16, 2019). If you are interested in hosting one or more Thread students through DAASI, click here: Interest Form. The deadline to fill out the interest form is May 10, 2019.
If you would like more information about DAASI, please contact Dr. Gerri Cole (email@example.com) or Neekta Khorsand (firstname.lastname@example.org).