I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Policies for Postdoctoral Research Fellows
Quick Links to Content On This Page:
This University-wide policy sets forth minimum requirements for the official appointment of postdoctoral fellows and the salary, benefits, leave, and accommodation requirements for all postdoctoral fellows. School of Medicine-specific policies for appointments, vacation, leave, etc. are detailed in the links below.
As members of the Johns Hopkins University community, postdoctoral fellows are expected to maintain high standards of integrity, honesty, and ethical and professional conduct and to maintain a safe, respectful training and workplace environment. Failure to comply with these standards; institutional policies and other requirements; and/or laws may be reviewed and adjudicated by the Associate Dean for Postdoctoral Affairs, in consultation with the Vice Dean for Education, and can result in sanctions, up to and including termination of the postdoctoral appointment.
- Selection, Appointment, and Evaluation of Postdoctoral Fellows
- Criminal Background Check Policy
- Probation, Suspension, and Termination Policy for Postdoctoral Fellows
- Requirement for Individual Development Plans (IDPs)
- All postdoctoral research fellows are compensated at a level at least equal to NIH levels, adjusted for years of postdoctoral experience. You can view the current scale by clicking here.
- Benefits Information for Postdoctoral Fellows
- Non-Medical Leave of Absence
- New Child Accommodations for Full-time Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Trainees
- Sick Leave Policy
- Vacation Policy and Stipend Levels for Postdoctoral Research Fellows
- For postdocs: Contact your PI and department administrators to request leave under FMLA
- For department administrators: The FML notification letter and medical forms can be found at this link.
The Office of Policy Coordination website contains updated information on policies and procedures related to:
- Research Integrity
- Outside Interests and Conflict of Interest
- Interaction with Industry
- Sunshine Act
- Additional policies and regulations
The Office of Institutional Equity provides equal opportunity policies, procedures, and resources for:
- Discrimination and Harassment
- Sexual Misconduct
- Disability Accommodations and ADA Compliance
- Religious Accommodations
- Confidential Resources
You may view and download an overview of Responsible Conduct of Research resources at this link. (JHED log-in information required).
Postdoctoral fellows who have a dispute with a mentor or colleague may bring complaints to their PI, department director, or to the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs. When appropriate (excluding matters of workplace safety, forms of harassment, legal matters, etc.), the Office will attempt to counsel and aid conflict mediation through informal discussion, decision-making, and goal-setting. In the event that a dispute cannot be solved by informal discussions described in the previous section, the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs can advise on more formal avenues for addressing disputes, such as the Grievance Procedure for Faculty, Fellows and the Student Body.
Reporting Learner Mistreatment
If you have experienced or witnessed mistreatment and/or disruptive behavior, you can submit complaints through the Resources for Reporting Mistreatment webpage.
Additional Training and Research Policies
JHU SOM Guidelines for Conduct in Teacher/Learner Relationships