All first time borrowers of Federal Direct Loans (Unsubsidized) must complete the following activities before funds are disbursed to your student billing account:
- Electronically sign a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note. Students who borrow from the Federal Direct Loan Programs are required to complete a Master Promissory Note. This is a one-time requirement for matriculation at the School of Medicine (Please note that NO ACTION IS NECESSARY for students that have previously borrowed Federal Direct Loans through The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine). A first-time borrower is someone who has not previously received a Direct Unsubsidized Loan. Promissory notes can be completed online. The site is available 24 hours a day, 7 days per week EXCEPT Sunday from 5:00 am -11:00 am (EST) and Monday from 12:01 am - 7:00 am (EST).
The electronic procedure for completing the promissory note is as follows:
- Log on to the studentaid.gov website with your FSA ID.
- Select the "Complete Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN)" option.
- Be sure to select JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF MEDICINE when asked to provide the name of your school.
- Follow the instructions.
- Remember to print a copy of the promissory note for your records.
- Complete Entrance Counseling on the studentaid.gov federal website. Your FSA ID is required to complete this process. If you do not have a valid FSA ID, you can create one at StudentAid.gov.
If you have questions or need additional assistance about the Federal Direct Loan Program, you may contact the Financial Aid Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or the U.S. Department of Education’s Direct Loan Servicing Center at (800) 848-0979 or via the web at StudentAid.gov.