Residents & Fellows Enrollment in Medicare and Medicaid as Ordering, Referring, Prescribing or Rendering Provider
All providers must have a National Provider Identifier (NPI) to enroll in Medicare and Medicaid as an Ordering, Referring, Prescribing or Rendering Provider.
What is an NPI number?
The Administrative Simplification provisions of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) mandated the adoption of standard unique identifiers for health care providers and health plans. The purpose of these provisions is to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the electronic transmission of health information. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) have developed the National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPPES) to assign these unique identifiers.
How To Enrollment Guides:
- NPI Enrollment
- Medicare Enrollment - This guide includes instructions for individuals with or without a medical license
- Medicare Resource Document - Medicare Enrollment for Providers who Solely Order, Certify, or Prescribe
- Medicaid Enrollment (Maryland) - use this guide if you have a medical license
- Medicaid Enrollment (Maryland) - use this guide if you do not have a medical license
- Medicaid Enrollment - Frequently Asked Questions