Due to COVID-19 pandemic, the scholarship recognition event was cancelled. We look forward to a virtual celebration in 2021.
On April 3, the School of Medicine hosted the 2019 Scholarship Recognition Event in the Armstrong Medical Education Building. Thank you to everyone who attended this year's event. View photos from the 2019 event.
Scholarships change lives. Whether you've received a scholarship, created one or both.
It was a condition of Johns Hopkins' bequest that such support be provided for students "most deserving of choice because of their character and promise." The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, its alumni and its friends remain committed to this same tradition of philanthropic support for its current student body over 100 years after Mr. Hopkins made such provisions in his will. Scholarships play a crucial role in attracting the exceptional students that continue to make this a top-rated medical school. From the day the Johns Hopkins University enrolled its first class in 1876, scholarships have been provided to excellent students who otherwise might not have the means to attend.
The Scholarship Recognition Event brings together School of Medicine scholarship donors and scholarship recipients. Students have a chance to say a personal and heartfelt "Thank you," and donors have a chance to see the impact on the lives their investment makes. Personal stories abound, connections are made, and lasting friendships are created.
Lisa Dunkle Scheffler, M.D., Endowed Scholarship
The Lisa Dunkle Scheffler, M.D., Endowed Scholarship was established in 2016 by Lisa Dunkle Scheffler, M.D., (Med ’72) in appreciation for the medical education she received at Johns Hopkins.
With a lot of sacrifice, perseverance, hope, and generous support through donors like Dr. Dunkle Scheffler, I have had the privilege of pursuing a medical education. My desire to be a physician has been reaffirmed not only through my experiences with patients at Hopkins but also through my work with underrepresented communities in Baltimore.
-Anna Marie Young, Class of 2020
Previously Highlighted Scholarship Funds
A scholarship fund is highlighted each year at the Scholarship Recognition Event. Below is a listing of scholarship funds that have been recognized in previous years.
- 2018: Claire S. Jensen and Allan D. Jensen, M.D., Endowed Scholarship Fund | Photos
- 2017: The Class of 1966 and the Class of 1967 Scholarship Funds | Photos | Video
- 2016: Alden H. and Mary K. Burkholder Scholarship in Medical Education | Photos
- 2015: Daniel G. Sapir Leadership Fund | Photos
- 2014: The Levi Watkins, Jr., M.D. Endowed Scholarship Fund | Photos | Video
- 2013: The Johns Hopkins Medicine Scholars
- 2012: The Women’s Board Scholarship Fund
- 2011: Class of 1980 Scholarship Fund
- 2010: Class of 1985's Elaine Hefty Cleary Memorial Scholarship Fund and the Class of 1986 Scholarship Fund
- 2009: The Jennie Lee Batson, M.D. Memorial Scholarship Fund
- 2008: The Henry M. Seidel, M.D., Scholarship Fund