I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Core Clerkship in Women’s Health
This clerkship introduces students to the discipline of Gynecology/Obstetrics and Women’s Health. Following three days of PRECEDE instruction, students rotate through the following:
- two weeks of inpatient obstetrics,
- two weeks of inpatient gynecology and
- two two-week selectives.
The selectives are chosen from the following: female pelvic and reconstructive medicine, gynecologic oncology, maternal fetal medicine, ambulatory gynecology, reproductive, endocrine and infertility, or reproductive health. In addition there is a precepted longitudinal ambulatory experience. Instruction occurs through direct patient contact, operating room and bedside teaching, and student conferences.
PRECEDE (Pre-Clerkship Education Exercises) sessions are intended to introduce students to fundamental skills and knowledge that they will utilize in the care of patients in the ambulatory and hospital setting. Students spend three days at the start of the clerkship and two days at the midpoint of the clerkship involved in this program.
A few examples of Core Clerkship in Women’s Health PRECEDE sessions include:
- Review of breast and pelvic exams in a simulated office visit environment, utilizing specially trained genitourinary teaching associates;
- Surgical Scrub and Self Gown/Glove exercise;
- Wound closure and knot-tying workshop;
- Simulated delivery, utilizing both the NOELLE and Mama Natalie birth simulators, as well as Baby Hal for basic newborn resuscitation;
- Ultrasound seminar with live demonstration;
- Case-based learning and team-based learning seminars with faculty preceptors;
- Interdisciplinary role-playing modules, including faculty and students from other disciplines; and
- Introduction to minimally invasive surgery for gynecologic conditions.
- To introduce students to the depth and breadth of women’s health issues;
- To experience how Gyn/Ob merges surgery, medicine and primary preventive care into a single practice;
- To learn how overall mental and physical health interacts with reproductive function;
- To gain comfort in taking an appropriate Gyn/Ob history and performing the breast and pelvic examinations;
- To introduce the principles of surgery related to women’s health.
Assistant Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Expertise, Disease and Conditions: Contraception, Gynecology, Gynecology and Obstetrics, Laparoscopic Surgery, Obstetrics
Time Commitment and Clerkship Length
This clerkship runs for eight weeks.
Clinical Sites for this Clerkship
- Johns Hopkins Hospital - View map
- Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center - View map
- Sinai Hospital of Baltimore - View map
- Greater Baltimore Medical Center - View map
More on Women’s Health
Learn more about the medical student/clerkship program in Women’s Health.
Have a question? Want to learn more about Genes to Society? Contact the Office of Curriculum.
Ready to join the ranks of medical innovation and leadership? Apply to Johns Hopkins University Medical School today.