How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Volunteer at Sibley Memorial Hospital. Please read the guidelines and rules that apply to Sibley Volunteers, then familiarize yourself with the Application Process described below.
Volunteer Requirements and Guidelines
Before you start the Application Process, please take this time to read the Sibley Memorial Hospital Volunteer Requirements and Guidelines.
Volunteer Application Process
The Volunteer Application Process at Sibley Memorial Hospital has four phases (please note that some requirements are different for Adult and Junior Applicants):
Phase 1: Application/Interview
You must complete and submit the following forms together (Applicants with incomplete application packets will not be considered for an Interview):
You may mail, email, or personally deliver your application packet to the Volunteer Office. The Volunteer Office is located in the lobby of Building B (the New Patient Tower).
Once all forms are submitted, you will be contacted to notify you that all of your forms have been received and you will be asked to call the Volunteer Office to set up a time for an Interview. Interviews will not be given without a complete application packet.
At your Interview, you will meet with a Volunteer Officer to discuss the program. Once your Interview is completed, you will receive a letter of acceptance or denial.
Phase 2: In Process
If you are accepted into the Volunteer Program, you will receive a letter of invitation after the Interview along with the following forms and medical tests to be completed:
- Medical Screenings for Applicants memo (including information on drug screening, Tuberculin skin testing [PPD], and Influenza vaccination)
- Medical Requirements memo (from Sibley Occupational Health)
- Medical Clearance form (to be completed by a licensed independent provider)
- Drug Screening Authorization (to be completed at Sibley Memorial Hospital Occupational Health Department; to receive a copy of this form, please contact the Volunteer Office)
- Background Check Authorization (Adult Applicants only; to receive a copy of this form, please contact the Volunteer Office)
- JHED ID Request form (to receive a copy of this form, please contact the Volunteer Office)
- Complaints & Grievances Policy
Please note that Sibley Memorial Hospital and Johns Hopkins Medicine are not responsible for any medical costs associated with the Volunteer Application Process.
When all forms and medical requirements are completed and sent to the Volunteer Office, you will be contacted with an invitation to Volunteer Orientation. If you fail to RSVP to an Orientation Invitation, we will assume you are no longer interested in applying to the Volunteer Program.
Phase 3: Orientation
You must print out the following forms and bring them to Orientation:
At Orientation, you will go over the Volunteer Handbook, receive wheelchair training, read and sign additional forms, and go on a tour of the hospital to familiarize you with the Sibley campus. You will also be given your JHED ID, which you will use after Orientation to complete several online tests required by Johns Hopkins.
After Orientation and all online tests are completed and certificates are sent to the Volunteer Office, you will be contacted to schedule your Day of Service appointment. All online tests must be completed BEFORE Day of Service.
Phase 4: Day of Service
You will come in for your uniform, job assignment & schedule, ID badge (your ID badge photo must be in uniform), VSys kiosk login, and to sign your job description(s).
Summer Volunteer Opportunities
Our Summer Volunteer Program offers Volunteers the opportunity to give their time and make a difference to our patients, visitors, and staff during one or more of the preset sessions in the summer (please see summer availability form). Enrollment is limited to the first forty (40) applicants and based on the hospital's need.
We are currently accepting applications for our Summer Program. Our deadline for applying is April 30th, 2019. The Minimum number of hours to be served is 40 hours.
Summer Volunteer Requirements
All summer Applicants must:
- Be at least 16-years-of-age
- Commit to one or more available sessions, as indicated on the Summer Availability form.
- Important: Volunteers are expected to attend every assigned shift during the chosen session. The Volunteer Office reserves the right to dismiss any participant due to unexcused absences or unacceptable behavior.
- Individuals may continue as Volunteers during the year after the Summer Program ends. They will not have to repeat the Application Process.