Skip Navigation

COVID-19 Update

Credentialing at Sibley

Sibley’s Medical Staff Services office provides comprehensive healthcare practitioner credentialing services, medical staff membership and clinical privileges for Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Our office complies with the standards of The Joint Commission (TJC), the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA), the Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules and Regulations and all other applicable regulatory requirements.

Our mission is to:

  • Provide credentialing services to the Medical Staff and Allied Health Professionals in a professional and timely manner
  • Conduct a thorough review and verification of credentialing information so that Sibley can evaluate practitioners’ abilities to provide quality patient care
  • Meet the legal, professional and accreditation requirements of the District of Columbia, federal regulators, and other professional organizations

Frequently Asked Questions

General questions

  • What is credentialing?
    Credentialing is a term that usually encompasses two separate processes: credentialing and privileging. Credentialing is the primary source verification of a health care practitioner’s education, training, work experience, license, etc. Privileging is the vetting of an individual wanting to perform a specific procedure or specific set of privileges based on documented competence in the specialty in which privileges are requested.
  • Why does Sibley credential?
    Sibley Hospital and Johns Hopkins Medicine are legally responsible for verifying that individuals providing care at its facilities are appropriately qualified and competent to provide patient care. The Joint Commission, The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), National Committee on Quality Assurance (NCQA), the D.C. Department of Health and other oversight organizations require that members of the medical and allied health staff be credentialed and privileged before working in the facility.
  • Can a physician or other practitioner admit, attend or have other patient contact in the hospital before completing the credentialing process?

    No, a practitioner cannot have any patient contact while waiting for the completion of the credentialing process.

  • Who is required to be credentialed and privileged?
    All physicians, podiatrists, dentists, Psychologists, Advanced Practice Nurses (NP’s, CRNA’s, NMW, etc…) and Physician Assistants.
  • How does a practitioner get credentialed and request privileges begin the credentialing process?

    Please call our office at 202-537-4685 during regular business hours. By calling us, we are able to personalize and tailor the credentialing process to best fit your intended practice at Sibley.

  • How does a practitioner update their profile information such as an office address change, an email address change or a name change?
    Contact the Medical Staff Office 202-537-4685 to report a change of information.

Initial application questions

  • How far in advance of my start date should I begin the credentialing process?

    Most healthcare organizations advise submitting an application 90 to 120 days before a practitioner’s start date. Ninety to 120 days is a benchmark because it allows extra time when verification sources do not respond in a timely manner or clarification of discrepancies is required.

  • Is there anything a practitioner can do to speed up the application process?

    Yes. Practitioners can greatly influence the length of processing time by:

    • Completing the entire application and submitting all requested documents
    • Providing accurate email addresses, fax numbers and phone numbers
    • Contacting their verification sources and asking each source to respond to Johns Hopkins Centralized Credentialing or Sibley’s verification requests as soon as possible.
    • Have an active District of Columbia License. If you need to apply for a license, please contact the District of Columbia Department of Health, Health Professional Licensing
    • If you will be prescribing controlled medications, you will need a District of Columbia Controlled Substance Registration and a federal DEA registration listing a D.C. address.
  • If I am already on staff at another Johns Hopkins Medicine entity, how do I apply to see patients at Sibley?

    Contact Medical Staff Services at 202-537-4685 to request an application. You will receive an online application and some additional documents to complete. Generally, the application process is shorter than for someone new to the system.

    NOTE: You must have an active D.C. License, D.C. Controlled Substance Registration* and DEA certificate*

Reappointment questions

  • What is reappointment?
    Reappointment is the process of re-evaluating a practitioner’s current competency after they have been appointed to the medical staff or professional staff.
  • Once I’m on staff, why do I need to go through the paperwork again?
    CMS and The Joint Commission hospital accreditation standards require all practitioners to complete a reappointment process every 24 months. Sibley has a duty to ensure that all practitioners on staff are currently competent, and reappointment is the process of re-evaluating competency.
  • What happens if I don’t complete my reappointment paperwork?
    If a practitioner does not complete reappointment paperwork on time, the practitioner’s reappointment will expire and they can no longer work or see patients at Sibley.
  • How can I get more information on the reappointment process?
    Please contact Medical Staff Services at 202-537-4685 and speak with one of our Credentialing Specialists

Expirables questions

    What are expirables?

    Expirables are any licenses or certifications that have an end date. Regulatory and Accreditation agencies require these to be current at all times.

    Expirables include a practitioner’s:

    • D.C. Professional License
    • Malpractice insurance
    • D.C. Controlled Substance Registration*
    • D.C. DEA certificate*
    • Board certification
    • BLS, ACLS if required for your privileges
    • Required certification if planning to prescribe controlled substances
back to top button