Patient and Family Advisory Council
The Patient and Family Advisory Council (PFAC) works with members of the hospital staff to provide valuable feedback and personal insights on the patient care experience. The Council is composed of Sibley staff, physicians, patients, family members of patients and members of the community. Members are selected to reflect the population served by Sibley Memorial Hospital. This includes individuals of varied ages, gender, ethnicity, and socio-economic status. All members must be 18 years of age or older.
As a member of the Patient and Family Advisory Council, you can:
- Help evaluate new programs, forms, and patient materials as well as proposed changes to existing programs, forms, and patient materials.
- Serve on various committees and work groups of the hospital to bring the patient/family perspective to hospital operations.
- Provide feedback about the needs and experiences of patients and families served by Sibley.
- Provide patient and family insight into the planning for new facilities and facility renovations.
- Communicate between patients, families, and hospital management.
The PFAC seeks to enhance the delivery of healthcare at Sibley Memorial Hospital by providing a mechanism for the community to work in partnership with hospital staff to develop and deliver the safest and highest quality care and service to patients and their families. The Sibley Memorial Hospital PFAC will seek the patient and family perspective to promote a culture of patient and family centered care. The PFAC will provide an avenue for the voice of the patient to be heard.
Purpose and Responsibility
- Serves as a communication channel between families and hospital staff
- Promotes improved relationships between patients, families, and staff
- Provides a venue for patients and families to assist in evaluating and providing input on the delivery of services to patients
- Collaborates as partners with staff, physicians, and administration in the planning and operation of programs to enhance care and services
- Provides opportunities for staff to listen to their customers
- Provide a link between the hospital and the community at large
What we don’t do:
- Mandate or authorize anything; we are an advisory group only
- Advocate for special interest groups
To be on the Patient and Family Advisory Council, you must be:
- Able to prepare for and attend all council meetings
- Confident in your views and able to see many points of view
- Reflective and insightful
- Able to communicate and cooperate with individuals whose backgrounds, experiences and styles may be different than your own
- Positive about Sibley Memorial Hospital and enthusiastic about our mission
The Patient and Family Advisory Council (PFAC) Application
2013 Full Length PFAC Annual Report
2013 Executive Summary of PFAC Annual Report
For more information about the Patient and Family Advisory Council, please contact Marianne Monek, Director/Patient Advocate, at 202-537-4486 or at email@example.com.