In This Section      

History of Sibley Memorial Hospital

Sibley traces its history to 1890, when the Lucy Webb Hayes National Training School for Deaconesses and Missionaries was founded by the Woman’s Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Washington, D.C. The first president of the Missionary Society was Lucy Webb Hayes, wife of Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th president of the United States of America.

The Lucy Webb Hayes National Training School soon recognized that a hospital was needed to provide a clinical setting for nursing education and medical care for the area’s rapidly growing population. William J. Sibley, a member of the Foundry Methodist Church, donated $10,000 for the construction of a hospital in memory of his wife, Dorothea Lowndes Sibley. The first hospital building at North Capital and Pierce streets was dedicated on October 19, 1894, and opened to receive patients in March 1895.

Over the following decades, the services of the hospital steadily expanded to meet the growing health needs of the community. By 1925, the facilities filled the entire block on North Capitol Street at Pierce and M streets. In the late 1940s, it became evident that a more modern facility was needed. The present site on Loughboro Road N.W. was acquired through congressional legislation in the 1950s, and a new hospital was built and opened to serve patients on May 30, 1961.

Throughout its history, Sibley has made the most effective use of resources to best serve the community while embracing medical innovation. At the turn of the 21st century, the institution saw the necessity of further growth.

To meet the requirements of the future, Sibley embarked on extensive modernization and expansion program. With the completion of the Master Facility Plan in 1999, Sibley added 40,000 square feet of new space and 80,000 square feet of renovated space. This included a new emergency department, new operating rooms and a recovery suite, a new outpatient procedures suite and an expanded radiology department with a new MRI system.

The Sibley Renaissance building, completed in 2000, is home to the Rehabilitation Center. It features a warm-water therapeutic pool, skilled nursing and Alzheimer’s special care units, the Sullivan Center for Breast Health, which provides technologically advanced imaging, clinical services and support programs, and the office of the Sibley Senior Association.

As the community demand for assisted living became apparent, Sibley built Grand Oaks on the hospital campus. This gracious Georgian-style residence of 104 apartments opened in the fall of 2000. It is designed for those who wish to live independently but may require varying levels of assistance with day-to-day activities.

Building on recognized expertise in treating cancer patients and the skill of its clinicians, the Cancer Center was opened in the fall of 2002 to provide the most current radiation oncology technology in a patient-friendly environment.

In 2004, construction was completed on a new 633-car parking facility. In addition, Sibley combined recently acquired property into one 20-acre lot, adding 260,000 square feet to the campus.

An expansion of Grand Oaks was completed in 2007, which added 35 new apartments. In the same year, the Sibley Memorial Hospital Foundation was established to raise funds to construct the new Sibley with all private patient rooms; to build a broad base of endowments to support nursing scholarships, advanced technology and program initiatives; and to increase the hospital’s unrestricted annual support.

Ground was broken and construction began in 2009 for the new medical building, which will include physician offices, surgery and imaging centers, other outpatient services, and a parking garage. The new emergency department opened in the fall of 2015, with completion and occupancy of the full building in the fall of 2016.

In a move to address a growing need for integrated regional health care services for patients, Sibley Memorial Hospital became affiliated with The Johns Hopkins Health System Corporation and became a member of Johns Hopkins Medicine on November 1, 2010. Sibley retains its name and commitment to the local community and will gain access to the significant research and clinical programs at Johns Hopkins.

New Sibley

The New Sibley building, including the newly constructed Emergency Department which opened in 2015, officially opened fully to the public on September 26, 2016. The building features:

  • 200 fully private patient rooms with accommodations for visitors
  • An expanded medical oncology and inpatient oncology units
  • A new Center for Babies and Families, including 18 private special care nursery bassinets
  • An orthopaedic unit with a dedicated rehabilitation gym
  • Integrated technology focused on improving the patient and visitor experience

Today, Sibley is a not-for-profit, full-service, 318-bed community hospital with a committed board of trustees, experienced management, dedicated staff, physicians and volunteers and strong community support. Sibley offers medical, surgical, intensive care, obstetric, oncology, orthopaedic and skilled nursing inpatient services and a state-of-the-art 24-hour Emergency Department. Sibley’s campus, with its new patient tower, is also home to the Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center, Grand Oaks, an assisted living residence, a medical building with physician offices as well as ambulatory surgery and imaging centers.