Sibley LGBTQ Committee Efforts
Sibley strives to be the best hospital for all individuals. As LGBTQ patients have historically been underserved by health organizations, we continually make strides to engage and learn, educate ourselves, and build connections with the community. The goal of Sibley Memorial Hospital’s LGBT Committee to ensure Sibley is the most welcoming hospital to D.C.’s LGBTQ community. Some of our recent accomplishments and efforts underway are listed below.
Research and Communication
- Community Conversation World Café Design Thinking Project. In June, 2016, Sibley hosted 16 attendees from Sibley and the community in a facilitated outreach / empathy interview. Findings from this session have been used to shape future activities toward LGBTQ inclusion.
- Research Project: Improving Knowledge and Attitude of New Hospital Employees Related to LGBT Older Adults. This IRB-approved study is currently evaluating the effects of training and education materials for hospital staff on increasing awareness of and sensitivity towards LBGTQ seniors in Sibley’s patient population.
- Poster Presentation/Podium Presentation at the 2017 National NICHE Conference. Presentations included Creating Inclusive Health Care Environments for LGBT Patients and Improving Knowledge and Attitude of New Hospital Employees Related to LGBT Older Adults.
- Annual Pride Lunch & Learn. The initial all-staff presentation in 2016 featured a “Transgender 101” presentation, delivered by a transwoman nurse from Johns Hopkins Hospital.
- New Employee Orientation. Implemented in 2016, Sibley's new staff training includes a video segment specifically addressing LGBT issues.
- Nursing Assistant LGBT Sensitivity Training. A guided training module has been implemented for frontline staff.
- New LGBT Resource Nurse Position. This position serves as a dedicated point of contact to help advocate for patients, educate staff, and connect to the LGBTQ community.
- LGBT Lapel Pins. In conjunction with Johns Hopkins Medicine, these pins will identify specially trained Sibley staff as LGBTQ allies and resources.
- Gender-neutral Bathroom Signage.
- LGBTQ Seniors Outreach. In conjunction with Palisades Village and IONA, Sibley co-hosted an outreach/social event for LGBTQ Seniors in Northwest D.C.
- Trans-Friendly Demographic Intake Information. Work is underway to modify the JHM-wide electronic health records system to include preferred pronouns.
- LGBT Friendly MD/NP Provider List. Led by a Sibley nurse, this initiative will result in a list of providers within the Sibley system with training and particular expertise in LGBTQ health issues.
Contact Sibley Memorial Hospital’s LGBT Committee