2022 Radiology Research Day
The sixth annual Johns Hopkins Radiology Research Day returned to form this year as in-person event after two years of virtual gatherings due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The event is the work of many dedicated faculty and staff members, including professor Zaver Bhujwalla,Ph.D., M.Sc. Bhujwalla’s titles include vice chair of research for the Department of Radiology and Radiological Science, director of the Division of Cancer Imaging Research, and co-leader of the Cancer Molecular and Functioning Imaging Program at the Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Attendees gathered in The Johns Hopkins Hospital’s Turner Auditorium as Karen Horton, M.D., department chair, began the day with introductory remarks. Presentations by several radiology associate professors followed, including Nirbhay Yadav, Ph.D., who highlighted research on high resolution MRI imaging of cellular metabolism.
Research related to COVID-19 was a consistent theme throughout the event, with associate professor Eniola Oluyemi, M.D., detailing research on COVID-19 vaccine-related axillary adenopathy in breast imaging, and later, assistant professor Caitlin Tressler, Ph.D., discussing her work applying MALDI imaging to COVID-19 cases.
During the Special Award session for postdoctoral fellows, presentations offered a peek at cutting-edge imaging that looks at some of the most serious medical conditions in a new way. Saleem Yousf, Ph.D. offered an engaging presentation on photoacoustic imaging of in vivo blood oxygenation in organs of mice with a pancreatic cancer xenograft, and Yuto Uchida, Ph.D. presented research on brain imaging of patients with pre-clinical Alzheimer’s disease.
A special session of radiology resident presentations included remarks from Natalie Ring, M.D., who detailed the newly developed Patient-Reported Outcome Measure for Vascular Malformation Questionnaire for patients with low-flow vascular malformation, and Andrew Simmerman, M.D., who discussed imaging of rapidly progressive interstitial lung disease (RP-ILD).
After a busy morning, participants took a break for pizza. More than 60 posters detailing cutting edge research from across the radiology department lined the Turner Concourse outside of Tilghman Auditorium as judges strolled the room, selecting their top picks.
The afternoon began with a clinical imaging focus. Chris Bailey, M.D., walked attendees through the process of designing a novel IR device, while Craig Jones, Ph.D., M.S., addressed various AI applications in clinical radiology.
Research award winners Harrison Bai, M.D., M.S., and Georg Oeltzschner, Ph.D., also highlighted their research. Bai offered a look at use of artificial intelligence in imaging patients who have COVID-19, and Oeltzschner’s presentation focused on choline and N-acetylaspartate levels in patients with glioma.
As the afternoon continued, several esteemed radiology professors presented their research. Hanzhang Lu, Ph.D., and Atif Zaheer, M.D., focused on MRI, with Lu examining imaging in brain diseases and Zaheer discussing use of biomarkers to predict diabetes following acute pancreatitis. The presentations concluded with George Sgouros, Ph.D., discussing radiopharmaceutical therapy in cancer treatments.
The day’s events concluded with final remarks and pre-clinical and clinical poster awards.
The 2022 Radiology Research Day offered many exciting and engaging ideas — from using artificial intelligence as an aid in the reading room to developing radiotherapies to treat cancer. Wherever the science goes, faculty members and researchers in the Johns Hopkins radiology department are sure to be on the cutting edge.
Postdoctoral Fellows Research Award
- Saleem Yousf — Photoacoustic Assessment of In Vivo Blood Oxygenation in Organs of Mice with Cachexia Induced by a Pancreatic Cancer Xenograft
- Aaron Gudmundson — Using Convolutional Neural Networks to Guide Suppression of Out-of-Voxel MRS Artefacts
- Yuto Uchida — Microstructural Neurodegeneration of the Entorhinal-hippo
Radiology Resident Presentations
- Andrew Simmerman — That Escalated Quickly: Etiologies and Imaging Findings of Rapidly Progressive Interstitial Lung Disease (RP-ILD)
- Natalie Ring — Responsiveness of the Patient-Reported Outcome Measure for Vascular Malformations Questionnaire (PROVAM) in Patients with Low-Flow Vascular Malformations
- David Gullotti — Teaching Technology: Evaluating a New PACS Curriculum for Radiology Residents
- Akhilesh Mishra, Dhiraj Kumar, Kuldeep Gupta, Patrick Forde, Edward Gabrielson, Sridhar Nimmagadda — PD-L1 PET Quantifies the Pharmacodynamic Effects of Immunotherapy
- Ge Si, Sudath Hapuarachchige, Dmitri Artemov — uSPIO Nanocarrier Platform for Pretargeted, MR-based Multimodal Imaging
- Janaka Senarathna, Nitish Thakor, Arvind Pathak — A Miniature Multicontrast Microscope for Functional Imaging in Freely Behaving Animals
- Di Cao, Yuanqi Sun, Pan Su, Jay Pillai, Ye Qiao, Hanzhang Lu, Peter C.M. Van Zijl, Linda Knutsson, Jun Hua — Concurrent Measurement of Perfusion Parameters Related to Small Blood and Lymphatic Vessels in the Human Brain Using Dynamic Dual-spin-echo Perfusion (DDSEP) MRI
- Sejal Ghate, Ammar Latheef, Zhipeng Hui, Alberto Santamaria-Pang, Ivan Tarapov, Craig Jones, Haris Sair — Deep Labeling of fMRI Brain Networks
- Steve Hui, Kathleen Hupfeld, Saipavitra Murali Manohar, Christopher Davies-Jenkins, Helge Zoellner, Aaron Gudmundson, Yulu Song, Georg Oeltzschner, Richard Edden — Integrated Short-TE and Hadamard-edited Multi-sequence (ISTHMUS) for Advanced MRS
2021 Research Day Agenda
November 23, 2021
- Dr. Vivek Yedavalli (Physician Scientist Incubator Program)
- Dr. Emily Ambinder
- Dr. Ethel Ngen
- Dr. Bahram Mohajer
- Dr. Akhilesh Mishra
- Dr. Shreyas Kuddannaya
- Dr. Betsy Hu
- Dr. Andrew Kolarich
- Dr. Mohammad Sadaghiani
- Dr. Kristine Glunde – ‘TIMS/ToF MALDI Imaging in the JHMI AIMS Core’
- Dr. Jeff Bulte – ‘MPI Scanner is operational’
- Dr. Zaver Bhujwalla – ‘Bargain basement prices for Optical-CT imaging and Endoscopy imaging’
- Dr. Tahir Yusufaly
- Dr. Harrison Bai
- Dr. Aline Thomas
- Dr. Alin Shakeri-Zadeh
- Dr. Manisha Aggarwal
- Dr. Jiadi Xu
- Dr. Hye-Young Heo
- Dr. Jenny Hoang
- Dr. Michael McMahon
- Dr. Sridhar Nimmagadda
2020 Research Day
- Dr. Tony Lin – ‘Detection of COVID-19 Pneumonia on Chest Radiographs’
- Dr. Bharat Ambale Venkatesh - ‘Can Chest X-rays Predict Mortality in Hospitalized COVID-19 patients?’
- Dr. Caitlin Tressler – ‘Pulmonary Immune Response in COVID-19 Infection’
- Selected Abstract #1 - Dr. Farhad Pishgar – ‘Quantitative Analysis of Adipose Depots Using Chest CT and Associations with All-cause Mortality in COPD: Longitudinal Analysis from MESArthritis Ancillary Study’
- Selected Abstract #2 – Dr. Shaowei Bo - ‘Developing Azoles for Performing Functional MRI of Kidneys’
- Selected Abstract #3 – Dr. Raj Kumar Sharma – ‘Metabolic Reprogramming by SLC1A5 Downregulation in Human Pancreatic Cancer Cells’
- Dr. Anirudh Arun – ‘Cerebral Venous Congestion: A Novel Framework’
- Dr. Sean Golden – ‘The Growth of Clinical IR: Increasing Interventional Radiology Evaluation & Management Charges Over Time’
- Dr. Shinjini Kundu – ‘Beyond What The Eye Can See: Re-imagining Precision Medicine?’
- Dr. Kristine Glunde – ‘Advanced MALDI Imaging in the JHMI AIMS Core’
- Dr. Rebecca Krimins – ‘The Express Radiology Research Lab and Radiosynoviorthesis in Dogs’
- Dr. Zaver Bhujwalla – ‘iThera MSOT InVision 512 Optoacoustic Scanner’
- Dr. Marie France Penet – ‘Photoimmunotherapy of Ovarian Cancer’
- Dr. Sudath Hapuarachchige – ‘5D3-DM1: A Novel PSMA-targeted ADC for Prostate Cancer Therapy’
- Dr. Catherine Foss – ‘Imaging Inflammation in Small Animals’
- Dr. Laurence Carroll – ‘Caspase-based PET for Evaluating Pro-Apoptotic Treatments in Tuberculosis’
- Dr. Steven Rowe: ‘Impacting the Treatment of Men with Prostate Cancer Through the Use of PSMA-Based Molecular Imaging’
- Dr. Atif Zaheer: ‘Making Heads and Tails of the Pancreas: Fruits of Multidisciplinary Collaboration’
- Dr. Emily Ambinder: ‘Improving Access to Breast Imaging’
- Dr. Robert Lidell: ‘Pancreatic Cancer: The Backdoor Approach’
- Dr. Vivek Yedavalli: ‘Stroke and Stroke Perfusion Research’
- Dr. Omid Khalilzadeh: ‘High Resolution CT Evaluation of Bone Histomorphometry in Patients with Metabolic Bone Disease’
- Dr. Michael Schar – ‘MR Techniques for Coronary Endothelial Function Assessment’
- Dr. Shanshan Jiang – ‘Deep Learning Boosted Amide Proton Transfer (APT) MRI’
- Dr. Hye Young Heo – ‘Proton Exchange MR Fingerprinting’
- Dr. Georg Oeltzschner – ‘Advanced Acquisition and Modeling Techniques in Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy’
2019 Research Day
The third annual Radiology Research Day was a tremendous success.
Department Chair, Dr. Karen Horton, began with an introduction that highlighted spectacular new equipment being updated and installed primarily for research purposes.
The first distinguished faculty lecture was by Dr. Katarzyna Macura who gave an eye-opening talk on a vast amount of multi-disciplinary research and clinical work focused on prostate cancer.
The keynote lecture from Dr. Daniel Ford was an excellent discussion of translational research that covered challenges in medicine and the need to build efficient infrastructure to best support faculty efforts.
Over lunch, the Turner Concourse was bursting with activity as poster presentations and judging took over the atmosphere.
In the Darner Conference Room, Core Service Centers displayed services available to all faculty both within and outside of the School of Medicine, in order to provide support for conducting cutting-edge research. The post-lunch series started with Dr. Shadpour Demehri and focused on his specialty in osteoarthritis imaging.
Dr. Stefan Zimmerman discussed minimally-invasive cardiac CT and MRI imaging to diagnose subtle signs of abnormal function. Dr. Ferdinand Hui offered tremendous insight into strokes, the leading cause of adult disability and 5th leading cause of death.
The last distinguished faculty lecture was by Dr. Paul Bottomley who discussed the history and progress of measuring cardiac work and his own involvement which dated back to 1977 when he helped build the first MRI as a young PhD student in Nottingham. Dr. Karen Horton concluded the day with handing out awards for the 6 poster winners.
With every conclusion a new research question can be asked and a new step into progressing medicine may occur. Being a leader in treating patients means leading in medical research.
The 2019 Radiology Research Day has revealed many conclusions and just as many newly surfaced questions, exactly what is needed to push medicine to the next frontier.
Dr. Manisha Aggarwal
“Looking into Brain Tissue Microstructure Using Diffusion MRI”
Dr. Steven Rowe
“PSMA-Targeted PET Imaging of Prostate Cancer with 18F-DCFPyL”
Ishu Sivakumar, Yelena Mironchik, Raj Kumar Sharma, Eibhlin Goggins, Noriko Mori, Flonne Wildes, Balaji Krishnamachary, Zaver M. Bhujwalla
Downregulating Glutamine Uptake in an Effort to Minimize Pancreatic Cancer-Induced-Cachexia
Yue Yuan, Jia Zhang, Xiaoliang Qi, Shuoguo Li, Guanshu Liu, Soumik Siddhanta, Ishan Barman, Xiaolei Song, Michael T. McMahon, Jeff W. M. Bulte
Furin-mediated intracellular self-assembly of olsalazine nanoparticles for enhanced MR imaging and tumor therapy
Caitlin M. Tressler, Hong Liang, James R. Eshleman, Kristine Glunde
Quantitative Detection of Gemcitabine Distribution in Mouse Models of Pancreatic Cancer using MALDI Mass Spectrometry Imaging
Xinyuan Miao, Yuankui Wu, Dapeng Liu, Hangyi Jiang, David Woods, Moshe T. Stern, Nicholas I.S. Blair, Raag D. Airan, Chetan Bettegowda, Keri S. Rosch, Qin Qin, Peter C. M. van Zijl, Jay J. Pillai,
Whole-brain functional and diffusion tensor MRI in human subjects with metallic orthodontic braces
Dan Zhu, Wenbo Li, Dapeng Liu, Guanshu Liu, Farzad Sedaghat, Yigang Pei, Taehoon Shin, and
Non-Contrast-Enhanced Abdominal MRA at 3.0T using Velocity-Selective Pulse Train
Vishwa S. Parekh, Katarzyna Macura,
Michael A. Jacobs
General AI for Organ Invariant Mulitparametric MRI Tissue segmentation and characterization: Preliminary Results
The special session for Postdoctoral Fellows featured the three runners-up for the postdoctoral research award.
Dr. Akanksha Bhargava
Imaging Innovations for Cascular Systems Biology of Cancer
Dr. Arya Haj Mirzaian
Statin Use and Knee Osteoarthritis: Results from the Osteoarthritis Initiative
Dr. Michal Povasan
Comparison of Multi-Vendor, Single-Voxel MR Spectroscopy Data Acquired in Healthy Brain at 26 Sites
Clinical opinions and practical experiences from:
Dr. Matt Alvin
“RSNA Olmsted Fellowship - Insights & Takeaways.”
Dr. Derek Nguyen
“State-Mandated Breast Density Notifications: Can they be less ‘dense’?”
Dr. Nima Hafezi Nejad
“Bariatric embolization: Clinical Data from Human Trials.”