Establishing a correct diagnosis and determining the unique strengths and vulnerabilities of each patient is central to the treatment of schizophrenia. We therefore offer outpatient evaluations that are designed to give patients, families, and their treating clinicians a comprehensive and timely opinion and set of treatment options. Most physicians and therapists greatly appreciate second opinions and will not be offended by your request for an evaluation at Johns Hopkins.
When You Call
Information that can help us help you includes:
- What concern led you to contact us
- The diagnosis, if any
- Name, address, phone and fax numbers of the treating psychiatrist or therapist
- Age, contact information, living situation, current medicines, and major medical problems of the patient
We offer half-day psychiatric diagnostic evaluations, which include review of records, a detailed interview of the patient, and an interview of family members. These consultations are ideal for questions about diagnosis, medication strategies, and non-pharmacological treatment options.
Components of the outpatient evaluation:
- Focused record review
- Comprehensive psychiatric interview
- Interview of family member
- Summary meeting with patient and family member
- Preparation of a detailed written summary
We offer psychiatric consultation services at two locations:
- Adult Consultation Clinic - Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Early Psychosis Intervention Clinic (EPIC) - Consults - Johns Hopkins Bayview
For more information or to make an appointment at one of our outpatient consultation clinics call 410-955-5212
Assessments of cognition, learning, and memory designed to help individuals with schizophrenia and related conditions determine strengths and weaknesses relevant to treatment, education, and employment. These are conducted by our medical psychologists. To make an appointment 410-955-3268. Learn more.