During your inpatient stay, the team will discuss your transition to the Pain Day Hospital, with the continued goal of returning you to greater functioning and better quality of life prior to your return to home and outpatient care. Participation in the Day Hospital serves to shorten the length of the inpatient hospital stay, and to allow patients to spend more time at home and with family while still enjoying the support of our structured treatment program.
Individuals attend the Day Hospital from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. As patients progress and meet intermediate goals, a discharge plan and outpatient care will be provided. The Pain Day Hospital uses the same treatment principles, approach and team members as the Pain Inpatient Service.
The Pain Day Hospital strives to:
- increase the patient’s functional ability to the highest possible level
- decrease the length of inpatient hospitalization for chronic pain
- provide a smooth transition from inpatient to outpatient treatment
- promote an understanding of the requirements of outpatient treatment
- facilitate supportive relationships of the patient with family, work, and community
- provide additional education and support for patients and families
Living Accommodations for Day Hospital Patients
Patients who live locally may stay at home while they are Day Hospital patients. For patients who do not live locally, we recommend contacting Johns Hopkins Guest Services at 410-614-5700.