Due to a high level of interest, there is a waiting list for admission to the Pain Treatment Program (PTP). The Admissions Coordinator will assist you in using the waiting period to complete the following pre-admission requirements:
- Contact the Admissions Coordinator to inform us of your interest in the program. You will be asked to review information about our program and to sign and return a copy of the Admissions Agreement
- Fax or e-mail a copy of the front and back of your insurance card(s), along with date of birth, address, contact number(s), social security numbers for both the patient and the insurance subscriber. This information is essential so that our Business Office can obtain your insurance benefits and determine your estimated financial responsibility. This process usually takes two to three business days. More information about Billing.
- The Admissions Coordinator will contact you with the insurance company’s quoted benefits and estimated financial responsibility
- Contact your referring physicians to request at that each sends the past three months of your comprehensive clinical records to the admission coordinator (see contact information on page 10) or you can forward the information directly to the admission coordinator. Comprehensive clinical records include: summaries from your current providers, ER visits, and hospital stays. We will review your records to help determine whether our program is the best option for your treatment. Please be advised that depending on the requirements of your insurance company, you may need to complete a psychiatric evaluation through your local mental health provider prior to admission. This may be a psychiatrist, psychologist, social worker, or therapist. You will be responsible for requesting your records. Unfortunately, we cannot request them. Please note that it usually takes approximately three to five business days to review records once received.
- You will be eligible for admission when all of these steps have been completed and you have been accepted into the program. We suggest contacting the admissions coordinator weekly for updates.
We understand that waiting for treatment and navigating the healthcare system while dealing with chronic pain can be difficult and frustrating. Unfortunately, due to the small size and unique nature of our program, it is very difficult for us to estimate how long each patient may have to wait before an opening is available.
Once you have been accepted into the program:
- Please call the Admissions Coordinator weekly for status admission updates.
- Prepare for your admission and keep us updated on any changes in your schedule that might affect your readiness and insurance changes. We understand that some patients will be traveling long distances and we try to provide as much notice as possible so you are able to make the necessary arrangements. However, your flexibility in scheduling the final admission date is much appreciated and could make the difference in how soon we are able to admit you for treatment. As our ability to offer openings is dependent on other patients discharging, we usually only have one business day’s notice of an opening. The treatment team requests that all patients arrive at 9:30 AM on the day of admission. If you should need hotel accommodations prior to your admission, please contact Johns Hopkins Guest Services at 410-614-5100.
Contact UsAdmissions Coordinator
Pain Treatment Program
Johns Hopkins Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science
600 North Wolfe Street, Meyer 143
Baltimore, Maryland 21287Directions