The Early Psychosis Intervention Clinic (EPIC) is a specialized treatment program offering both outpatient treatment and a consultation service for people who are currently experiencing a psychotic episode or who have recently received a diagnosis of a psychotic disorder within the past eighteen months.Early Psychosis Intervention Clinic
Community Psychiatry Program
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
5500 E. Lombard Street, Baltimore, MD 21224
For more information, or to make an appointment, call 410-955-5212 or contact Krista Baker, LCPC at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EPIC treats adolescents and young adults, ages 14 to 24, with diagnoses of:
- Schizoaffective disorder
- Schizophreniform disorder
- Delusional disorder
- Psychotic disorder not otherwise specified
- Have an IQ of 70 or greater
- No history of Autism or Pervasive Developmental Disorder
- None or only mild substance abuse
- No unmanaged major medical illness
Our patients are typically referred directly from hospitals but can also be referrals from current outpatient providers, self or family referred.
Recognizing the early signs of psychoses is important in order to get appropriate treat¬ment as early as possible. Early symptoms of psychosis may include, but are not limited to:
- odd or bizarre behavior
- changes in thinking or speech
- decrease in personal hygiene
- social withdrawal
- preoccupation with a particular topic
- marked changes in emotion
Other, more obvious symptoms may include suspiciousness or paranoia, auditory or visual hallucinations, delusions or odd, irrational beliefs.
The goal of EPIC is to provide individuals experiencing an initial psychotic episode with accurate diagnosis and treatment for his or her illness. Licensed clinicians and psychiatrists provide comprehensive and immediate treat¬ment in order to stabilize and reduce psychotic symptoms. The health care team also focuses on reducing hospital stays, improving compliance with outpatient treatment, main¬taining a structured daily routine and improving overall day-to-day functioning.
EPIC offers a variety of comprehensive services to meet the unique needs of our patients and their families.
- Psychiatric evaluations
- Second opinion diagnostic consultations
- Psychological treatment
- Medication management
- Substance abuse education and prevention
- Multi-Family support groups
- Targeted case management
- Mobile treatment
- Psychiatric Rehabilitation Program (PRP)/Vocational program
- Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP)
- Neuropsychiatric testing
- Research opportunities
To Make an Appointment
EPIC accepts some private insurances, medical assistance, and medicare. You will need to call us to determine eligibility.