Pursuing a career in medicine means committing to lifelong learning. One of the roles of the residency is to foster habits of learning that include critical reading of the scientific literature and communicating ideas to students, colleagues, and faculty. These skills serve as excellent preparation for future academic, administrative, or clinical or scientific leadership roles.
Scholarship in the residency takes many forms. All residents give talks in their PGY4 year; in addition, many residents, with formal or informal mentoring from faculty, participate in clinical or basic science research and/or writing.
Below is a selection of the some of the recent scholarship of our residents.
Peer-reviewed papers (residents in bold):
- Andrews TJ, Seide M, Guarda AS, Redgrave GW, Coffey DB. Electroconvulsive therapy in an adolescent with severe major depression and anorexia nervosa. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2014;24(2):94-8. doi: 10.1089/cap.2014.2422. PubMed PMID: 24679175.
- Coughlin JM, Wang Y, Ma S, Yue C, Kim PK, Adams AV, Roosa HV, Gage KL, Stathis M, Rais R, Rojas C, McGlothan JL, Watkins CC, Sacktor N, Guilarte TR, Zhou Y, Sawa A, Slusher BS, Caffo B, Kassiou M, Endres CJ, Pomper MG. Regional brain distribution of translocator protein using [(11)C]DPA-713 PET in individuals infected with HIV. J Neurovirol. 2014;20(3):219-32. doi: 10.1007/s13365-014-0239-5. PubMed PMID: 24567030.
- Taylor JL, McKibben RA, DeCamp M, Chisolm MS. Putting a face on the prescription opioid epidemic: a case report. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2014;36(4):449 e1-2. doi: 10.1016/j.genhosppsych.2014.03.007. PubMed PMID: 24745324.
- Tripathi A, Winek NC, Goel K, D'Agati D, Gallegos J, Jayaram G, Nguyen T, Vaidya P, Zandi P, Trivedi JK, Reti IM. Electroconvulsive therapy pre-treatment with low dose propofol: comparison with unmodified treatment. J Psychiatr Res. 2014;53:173-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jpsychires.2014.02.004. PubMed PMID: 24602447.
- Wilkinson ST, Chang SB, Foley T, Lipsey JR, MacKinnon DF. Delirium presenting as mania in a patient with end-stage COPD. Am J Psychiatry. 2014;171(8):821-4. doi: 10.1176/appi.ajp.2013.12060810. PubMed PMID: 25082489.
- Hunt EA, Heine M, Shilkofski NS, Bradshaw JH, Nelson-McMillan K, Duval-Arnould J, Elfenbein R. Exploration of the impact of a voice activated decision support system (VADSS) with video on resuscitation performance by lay rescuers during simulated cardiopulmonary arrest. Emerg Med J. 2015;32(3):189-94. doi: 10.1136/emermed-2013-202867. PubMed PMID: 24243484.
- Moore RC, Martin AS, Kaup AR, Thompson WK, Peters ME, Jeste DV, Golshan S, Eyler LT. From suffering to caring: a model of differences among older adults in levels of compassion. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2015;30(2):185-91. doi: 10.1002/gps.4123. PubMed PMID: 24733732.
- Andrews, J., "Psychiatry, blogging, and social media." See also www.neurotransmitting.com.
- Andrews, S., "Transitioning outpatients: issues that arise in forced psychotherapy termination in residents' clinic."
- Deb, A., "Integration of primary care and psychiatry in Madhya Pradesh, India."
- Dougherty, J., "Traumatic Brain Injury."
- Gauvin, J., "The use and application of technology to medicine and psychiatry."
- Gimelshteyn, Y., "Alcohol abuse in post-bariatric bypass patients."
- Kelly, J., "Race and ethnicity in psychiatric patients."
- Kim, P., "Neurobiology."
- Lal, R., "Homelessness and psychiatry."
- Lerner, B., "Treating major depressive disorder: collectively we can do better."
- Nestadt, P., "Outpatients and internet reporting: google docs for docs."
- Peters, M., "Neuropsychiatry: the power of known pathology."
- Speed, T., "Pain, mood, and sleep."
The Johns Hopkins Phipps Psychiatry Guide is a guide for general practicioners published by Unbound Medicine. Many residents participated in the creation of the guide, but the four Managing Editors, whose drive and energy gave birth to the guide, were all residents:
- Paul Kim, M.D., Ph.D.
- Paul Nestadt, M.D.
- Matthew Peters, M.D.
- Traci Speed, M.D., Ph.D.
Hopkins BrainWise chronicles the story, "Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Goes POC-IT Size."