I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Steven Hsu, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Cardiac Transplant, Heart Failure, Heart Transplant, Internal Medicine, Mechanical Circulatory Support, Pulmonary Hypertension, Ventricular Assist Device ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Medicine - Green Spring Station
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 443-997-0270
10755 Falls Road Pavilion I Suite 360 Lutherville, MD 21093
Phone: 410-955-7534 | Fax: 410-800-4073
Steven Hsu, M.D., is a member of the Johns Hopkins Medicine Division of Cardiology, specializing in heart failure, mechanical circulatory support, and cardiac transplantation.
Dr. Hsu received his medical degree from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He completed intern and residency training in internal medicine at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he also served as an Assistant Chief of Service for the Osler Medical Service. He then completed a clinical fellowship in cardiology and a post-doctoral fellowship in advanced heart failure/transplant at Hopkins. He is board-certified in internal medicine and cardiovascular diseases and is a faculty member of the American College of Cardiology. He sees patients with heart failure, mechanical circulatory support devices such as left ventricular assist devices, and cardiac transplants.
Dr. Hsu’s research interests are focused on the hemodynamic and molecular changes related to right ventricular failure in the setting of pulmonary hypertension, with special attention to right ventricular failure due to scleroderma-associated pulmonary hypertension. He also studies right ventricular function in the setting of other heart failure disease states.
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2009)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Internal Medicine (2012)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Cardiology (2016)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Advanced Heart Failure/Transplant Cardiology (2017)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (2012)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Hsu S, Nagayama T, Koitabashi N, Zhang M, Zhou L, Bedja D, Gabrielson KL, Molkentin JD, Kass DA, Takimoto E. Phosphodiesterase-5 Inhibition blocks cardiac hypertrophy independent of the calcineurin pathway. Cardiovascular Research. 2009; 81:301-9.
Nagayama T, Hsu S, Zhang M, Koitabashi N, Bedja D, Gabrielson KL, Takimoto E, Kass DA. Sildenafil stops progressive chamber, cellular, and molecular remodeling and improves calcium handling and function in hearts with pre-existing advanced hypertrophy caused by pressure overload. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2009; 53:207-15.
Takimoto E, Hsu S, Koitabashi N, Ketner EA, Zhang M, Nagayama T, Bedja D, Gabrielson KL, Blanton R, Siderovski DP, Mendelsohn ME, Kass DA. RGS2 mediates cardiac compensation to pressure-overload and anti-hypertrophic effects of PDE5 inhibition in mice. Journal of Clinical Investigation. 2009; 119:408-20.
Hsu S, Houston BA, Tampakakis E, Bacher AC, Rhodes PS,Mathai SC, Damico RL, Kolb TM, Hummers LK, Shah AA, McMahan Z, Corona-Villalobos CP, Zimmerman SL, Wigley FM, Hassoun PM, Kass DA, Tedford RJ. Right Ventricular Functional Reserve in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. Circulation. 2016;133:2413-22.
Hsu S, Brusca SB, Rhodes PS, Kolb TM, Mathai SC, Tedford RJ. Use of Thermodilution Cardiac Output Overestimates Diagnoses of Exercise-induced Pulmonary Hypertension. Pulmonary Circulation. 2017;7:253-255.
Activities & Honors
- Phi Beta Kappa, Yale University, 2004
- Graduated summa cum laude, Yale University, 2004
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 2009
- Warfield T. Longcope Prize for Excellence in Clinical Medicine, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 2009
- Henry Strong Denison Research Scholar, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 2009
- Intern Teaching Award, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2010
- Howard S. Silverman Research Award, Division of Cardiology, Johns Hopkins, 2015
- Fellow Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, 2015
- Clinical Research Award Finalist, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2016
- American Heart Association, 2007
- American College of Cardiology, 2012
- International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation, 2014
- Heart Failure Society of America, 2016
- American College of Cardiology, 2017