I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Katherine Clegg Smith, Ph.D.
Joint Appointment in Oncology
- Joint Appointment in Oncology
Research & Publications
Dr. Smith is a sociologist with research interests around the social determinants of health behavior. Dr. Smith’s particular area of expertise is the role played by the media (particularly the news media) in health knowledge and behavior, as well as the influence of the media in the health policy process. She also has a general interest in youth health behavior and the use of qualitative methodology in public health research. Dr. Smith is currently leading a research project linking news coverage of tobacco to attitudes around policy change that is funded by the American Cancer Society. She is also part of a research project funded by the National Cancer Institute to explore the relationship between news coverage of tobacco and youth smoking, and the evaluation team for the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation-funded SmokeLess States initiative. Dr. Smith is part of a research team exploring smoking behaviors among young adults in Baltimore. She is also involved in projects in which she is working to apply the news monitoring strategies developed for tobacco to other public health topics.
- Smith, K.; Bone, L.; Clay, E.; Owings, K.; Thames, S.; Stillman, F. Partnering with Education and Job and Training Programs for Sustainable Tobacco Control Among Baltimore African-American Young Adults. Progress in Community Health Partnerships. 2009;3(1):9-17.
- McLeod, K.; Wakefield, M.; Chapman, S.; Smith, K.C.; Durkin, S. Changes in the news representation of smokers and tobacco-related media advocacy from 1995 to 2005 in Australia. Journal of epidemiology and community health. 2009 Mar;63(3):215-220.
- Klassen, A.C.; Smith, K.C.; Black, M.M.; Caulfield, L.E. Mixed method approaches to understanding cancer-related dietary risk reduction among public housing residents. J Urban Health. 2009 Jul;86(4):624-640.
- Ensminger, M.E.; Smith, K.C.; Juon, H.S.; Pearson, J.L.; Robertson, J.A. Women, smoking, and social disadvantage over the life course: a longitudinal study of African American women. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2009 Oct 1;104 Suppl 1:S34-41.
- Smith, K.C.; Wakefield, M.A.; Terry-McElrath, Y.; Chaloupka, F.J.; Flay, B.; Johnston, L.; Saba, A.; Siebel, C. Relation between newspaper coverage of tobacco issues and smoking attitudes and behaviour among American teens. Tobacco control. 2008 Feb;17(1):17-24.
- Smith, K.C.; Siebel, C.; Pham, L.; Cho, J.; Singer, R.F.; Chaloupka, F.J.; Griswold, M.; Wakefield, M. News on tobacco and public attitudes toward smokefree air policies in the United States. Health policy (Amsterdam, Netherlands). 2008 Apr;86(1):42-52.
- Metzler, M.; Kanarek, N.; Highsmith, K.; Straw, R.; Bialek, R.; Stanley, J.; Auston, I.; Klein, R. Community health status indicators project: the development of a national approach to community health. Preventing chronic disease. 2008 Jul;5(3):A94.
- Klassen, A.C.; Smith, K.C.; Shariff-Marco, S.; Juon, H.S. A healthy mistrust: how worldview relates to attitudes about breast cancer screening in a cross-sectional survey of low-income women. International journal for equity in health. 2008;7:5.
- Heitgerd, J.L.; Dent, A.L.; Elmore, K.A.; Kaplan, B.; Holt, J.B.; Metzler, M.M.; Melfi, K.; Stanley, J.M.; Highsmith, K.; Kanarek, N.; Frederickson Comer, K. Community health status indicators: adding a geospatial component. Preventing chronic disease. 2008 Jul;5(3):A96.
- Stillman, F.A.; Bone, L.; Avila-Tang, E.; Smith, K.; Yancey, N.; Street, C.; Owings, K. Barriers to smoking cessation in inner-city African American young adults. Am J Public Health. 2007 Aug;97(8):1405-1408.