I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Earl Randy Craven, M.D.
Chief, Wilmer Eye Institute- Bethesda
Associate Professor of Ophthalmology
Expertise: Advanced Technology Lens Implants, Cataract Surgery, Cataracts, Comprehensive Medical and Surgical Ophthalmology, Glaucoma, Glaucoma Surgery, Ophthalmology ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
E. Randy Craven, M.D. specializes in the medical and surgical treatment of glaucoma and cataracts, particularly the complex cases. Prior to arriving at Wilmer, he was Chief of Glaucoma at King Khaled Eye Specialist Hospital (KKESH) in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. A pioneer in the field of minimally invasive glaucoma surgery (MIGS), Dr. Craven was the first U.S. surgeon to implant the CyPass and the first iStent in the FDA trial; as a result, he has led over 100 research trials and helped develop and establish this new technology worldwide.
Dr. Craven received his medical degree from the University of Colorado and completed his residency in ophthalmology at the University of Texas Health Science Center. He then completed fellowship training in glaucoma at Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia.
- Chief, Wilmer Eye Institute- Bethesda
- Associate Professor of Ophthalmology
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of Colorado School of Medicine (1983)
- Parkland Health & Hospital Systems / Ophthalmology (1987)
- Wills Eye Hospital / Glaucoma (1988)
- American Board of Ophthalmology / Ophthalmology (1989)
Tarus Foundation, 1992. $100,000 to develop new software for imaging of optic nerve.
Tomey Technologies, 1993. $50,000 to develop new tonometer.
Merck Foundation, 2009. $10,000 to develop educational monograph and slide set for educating doctors on glaucoma.
Research & Publications
OCT for Corneal Power
ICE Syndrome: Iris and Glaucoma Long-Term Outcomes
Imaging of Canal with new Higher Resolution US
Achromatic/Flicker alternating Chromatic Visual Fields
Deep Sclerectomy vs Trab with Ologen
Revision of Filtering Blebs
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Craven, ER. "Optic disc, retinal nerve fiber layer, and macular analysis for glaucoma." Atlas of Glaucoma, Third Edition. Eds: Choplin, NT and Traverso, CE. Informa Healthcare. 2013; Chapter 7. In press.
Craven, ER. "Adopting New Surgical Methods: How I do it & How I Choose: Going with the Flow" Surgical Innovations in Glaucoma eds.: Samples, JR and Ahmed, IK. Springer Science. 2013: In press.
Craven, ER. "Complications Common to Nonpenetrating Surgeries" Surgical Complications of Glaucoma ed.: Feldman, R. Oxford Press. 2012; 52. P 399-401.
Craven, ER "Optic Disc, Retinal Nerve Fiber Layer, and Macular Analysis for Glaucoma" Ed. Sherwood, Shaarawy et al: Glaucoma. 2nd ed. Elsevier. 2013
Craven, ER, Katz, LJ, Wells, JM, Giamporcaro, JE: Cataract Surgery with Trabecular Micro-bypass Stent Implantation in Patients with Mild-to-Moderate Open-angle Glaucoma and Cataract: Two-year Follow-up. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2012; 38:1339–1345.
Activities & Honors
- Distinguished Alumni Award, University of Texas Health Science Center, 2013 - 2013
- The Best Doctors in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 2003 - 2013
- The Best Doctors in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 2000 - 2000
- The Best Doctors in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 1994 - 1998
- Guide to America’s Top Ophthalmologists, Consumer Research Council of America, 2004 - 2005
- Guide to America’s Top Ophthalmologists, Consumer Research Council of America, 2011 - 2011
- “Who’s Who” Healthcare, Marquis, 2011 - 2014
- Senior Achievement Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2010 - 2010
- Killian Award, American Eye Study Club, 2004 - 2004
- Achievement Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 1999 - 1999
- Pine Ridge Eye Study Society, 1995
- American Eye Study Club, 1993
- American Glaucoma Society, Inc., 1992
- Colorado Ophthalmological Society, 1990
- Spaeth Fellows Society, 1989
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, 1985
- Institutional Review Board Member, King Khaled Eye Specialist Hospital, Saudi Arabia, 2013
- Peer Review, Ophthalmology, 2013
- Peer Review, Middle East African Journal of Ophthalmology 2013-, 2012
- Peer Review, Journal of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 2006
- Peer Review, Archives of Ophthalmology, 2005
- Associate Examiner, American Board of Ophthalmology, 2004
- Patient Care Committee, American Glaucoma Society, 2001
- Peer Review, Survey of Ophthalmology, 2000
- Editorial Board, Ophthalmology Management, 1997
- Advisory Board, Allergan
- Advisory Board, Sucampo
- Advisory Board, Transcend
- Advisory Board, Ivantis
- Advisory Board, Haag-Streit
- Advisory Board, Optovue
Videos & Media
Lectures and Presentations
Presentation, Dubai Ophthalmological Conference (12/08/2013)
MIGS: Where it Fits
Named lecture, 24th Distinguished Alumnus Speaker (06/22/2013)
Chronic Angle Closure Glaucoma Treatment Options and Controversy
Lecture, Italian Ophthalmological Society Meetings (05/18/2013)
Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery 2013: What’s Next?
Lecture, Italian Ophthalmological Society Meeting (05/18/2013)
Glaucoma Symposium Auditorium Chairperson
Paper Session Moderator (05/01/2013)
Glaucoma Surgical Innovation: Pipeline Procedures
Presentation, American Society for Cataract and Refractive Surgery, Glaucoma Day (04/19/2013)
The Evolution of Glaucoma Surgery
Named lecture, 4th Annual Wayne Won Wong Memorial Lecture (06/09/2013)
Matching Surgical Risk to Disease
Lecture, Glaucoma Day (01/01/2013)
What to do with ICE Syndrome Patients Iris
Lecture, Italian Ophthalmological Society Meeting (05/28/2012)
What Impact with the Trabecular Micro-Bypass Stent Have On Glaucoma Care?
Presentation, Glaucoma Day (01/01/2012)
American Academy of Ophthalmology
Ab interno glaucoma surgery: options with trabecular and suprachoroidal
Lecture, Italian Ophthalmological Society Meetings, Roma (05/21/2011)
Risk management of electronic health records and glaucoma
Lecture, Ocular Surgery News (11/19/2010)