I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
James Robert Ficke, M.D.
Robert A. Robinson Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Expertise: Amputation, Foot and Ankle, Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedics
Research Interests: Lower Extremity Trauma Outcomes; Post-Traumatic Osteoarthritis; Orthopaedic Rehabilitation
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 443-997-2663
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 443-997-2663
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Colonel James Ficke, M.D., is Robert A. Robinson Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and director of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. He is also orthopaedist-in-chief of The Johns Hopkins Hospital. He is nationally renowned as an expert on the treatment of complex foot and ankle patients, lower extremity trauma patients and amputees.
Dr. Ficke received his M.D. from Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences in 1987. He completed a transitional internship at Madigan Army Medical Center, and finished his residency in orthopaedic surgery at Tripler Army Medical Center. He also completed an AO fellowship in Trauma in Munich Germany, and a foot and ankle fellowship in Dallas, Texas.
Prior to his current position, Dr. Ficke was chairman of the Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation at the San Antonio Military Medical Center. He also served the U.S. Army Surgeon General as the senior advisor on policy and personnel for orthopaedics and extremity injuries for seven years.
During his deployment as deputy commander of clinical services at the 228th Combat Support Hospital in Mosul, Iraq, from 2004 to 2005, he was the senior orthopedic surgeon, treating more than 600 U.S. soldiers and Iraqi patients for war injuries.
Dr. Ficke has received numerous awards for his skills as a surgeon and educator, as well as two dozen military decorations and awards including the Bronze Star and Meritorious Service Medals. His service earned him the Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons’ prestigious 2010 Colonel Brian Allgood Memorial Leadership Award, and The Surgeon General's 2010 Major General Lewis Aspey Mologne Award.
He has served as the co-chair of the Extremity War Injury Symposium sponsored by the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons since 2005.
- Robert A. Robinson Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Director, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Orthopaedist-in-Chief, The Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Departments / Divisions
- MD, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (1987)
- Tripler Army Medical Center / Orthopaedic Surgery (1994)
- Klinikum Rechts der Isar (1993)
- Baylor University Medical Center (2000)
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery / Orthopaedic Surgery (1996)
Research & Publications
Over the course of his career, Dr. Ficke has focused much of his research and practice on amputation and limb salvage, and the treatment of foot and ankle trauma and post-traumatic arthritis.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Genova RC, Box RL, Ficke JR. Accessibility, accountability, affordability: healthcare policy in orthopaedic trauma. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2017 Jun;10(2):258-264.PMID: 28417338
Khanuja HS, Naseer ZA, Jones LC, Ficke JR, Burney Iii DW. Implementation of TeamSTEPPS in Orthopaedic Surgery. Instr Course Lect. 2017 Feb 15;66:635-645. PMID: 28594533
Stinner DJ, Johnson AE, Pollak A, MacKenzie E, Ficke JR, Mabry RL, Czarnik J, Schmidt A. "Zero Preventable Deaths and Minimizing Disability"-The Challenge Set Forth by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. J Orthop Trauma. 2017 Apr;31(4):e110-e115. doi: 10.1097/BOT.0000000000000806.
Stinner DJ, Wenke JC, Ficke JR, Gordon W, Toledano J, Carlini AR, Scharfstein DO, MacKenzie EJ, Bosse MJ, Hsu JR; Major Extremity Trauma Research Consortium (METRC). Military and Civilian Collaboration: The Power of Numbers. Mil Med. 2017 Mar;182(S1):10-17. doi: 10.7205/MILMED-D-16-00138.
Tintle SM, LeBrun C, Ficke JR, Potter BK. What Is New in Trauma-Related Amputations.J Orthop Trauma. 2016 Oct;30 Suppl 3:S16-S20. PMID: 27661421
Activities & Honors
- COL Brian Allgood Award for Military Orthopaedic Leadership, 2010
- MG Louis A. Mologne Award, US Army Surgeon General, 2010
- Order of St Maurice - Legionaire #02018, 2007
- Order of Military Medical Merit #6921, 2004
- Outstanding Outside Faculty Educator, 2003
- Outstanding Outside Faculty Educator, 2001
- Outstanding Resident Educator, 1994
- 2017 Baltimore Magazine Top Doctor
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 1990
- American College of Surgeons, 2012
- American Orthopaedic Association, 2006
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society, 1998
- AO Alumni Association, 1993
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association, 2006
- Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons, 1993
- Central Program Committee, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Leadership Development Committee, American Orthopaedic Association
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Webinar: Seasonal Running and Injury Prevention | Johns Hopkins Medicine (October 2017)