I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Monica Mukherjee, M.D., M.P.H.
Director, Echocardiography Lab, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Specializes in: Adults (18+ years), Geriatrics (55+ years)
Expertise: Cardiovascular Diseases, Echocardiography, Heart Disease Prevention and Treatment in Women, Hypertension, Medicine, Non-invasive Cardiology, Non-invasive Imaging, Pulmonary Hypertension ...read more
Research Interests: Pulmonary Hypertension; Right heart dysfunction; Myocardial Fibrosis; Hypertensive Heart Disease; Diastolic Heart Failure; Hypertension and Strain; Speckle Tracking Echocardiography ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 410-550-1120
4940 Eastern Avenue 301 Mason F. Lord Drive Suite 2400 Baltimore, MD 21224
Phone: 410-550-1120 | Fax: 410-550-0012
Dr. Monica Mukherjee is an Assistant Professor of Medicine at the Johns Hopkins University Division of Cardiology and specializes in advanced cardiac imaging. She serves as Medical Director of the Echocardiography Lab at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, and also as the Director of Echocardiographic Research across campuses.
Dr. Mukherjee graduated Summa Cum Laude with dual Bachelors of Science in Psychology and Behavioral Neurosciences from the University of Florida. She received her Doctorate in Medicine from the George Washington University in Washington, DC, and internal medicine residency at Drexel University, before returning to George Washington to complete her fellowship in cardiovascular disease. She has a MPH from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health with a special concentration in Epidemiological and Biostatistical Methods for Public Health and Clinical Research. Dr. Mukherjee's research focuses on advanced echocardiographic methods in the detection of right ventricular remodeling. She is currently funded by the National Institutes of Health, the Scleroderma Foundation, and the CHEST Foundation. Her research has been presented at the American Thoracic Society, American Heart Association, American College of Rheumatology, American College of Cardiology and was awarded the Top 25 Young Investigators Award from the American Society of Echocardiography in 2016.
- Director, Echocardiography Lab, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Director, Echocardiographic Research, Johns Hopkins University
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- MD, The George Washington University School of Medicine (2006)
- Drexel University College of Medicine/Hahnemann Univ Hospital / Internal Medicine (2009)
- The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences / Cardiology (2012)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Cardiovascular Disease (2012)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (2011)
- Echocardiography, The National Board of Echocardiography (2014)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Mukherjee M, Mehta NK, Connolly J, Dusaj RS, Choi BG, Katz RJ, Lewis JF. Pulmonary Hypertension in Hypertensive Patients: Association with Diastolic Dysfunction and Increased Pulmonary Vascular Resistance. Echocardiography 2013 Nov 7; doi: 10.1111/echo.12393.
Mukherjee M, Chung SE, Ton VK, Hummers LK, Wigley FM, Abraham TP, Shah AA. Unique Abnormalities in Right Ventricular Longitudinal Strain in Systemic Sclerosis Patients. Circulation Cardiovascular Imaging. 2016 Jun;9(6)
Mukherjee M, Sharma K, Madrazo JA, Tedford RJ, Russell SD, Hays AG. Right Sided Heart Dysfunction In Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction And Worsening Renal Function. American Heart Journal, 2017 July
*Mukherjee M, Mercurio V, Tedford RJ, Shah AA, Hsu S, Mullin CJ, Sato T, Damico R, Kolb TM, Mathai SC, Hassoun PM. Right Ventricular Longitudinal Strain is Diminished in Systemic Sclerosis Compared to Idiopathic Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. Eur Respir J. 2017 Nov 22;50(5).
Kovell LC and Ali MT, Hays AF, Metkus TS, Madrazo JA, Corretti MC, Mayer AS, Abraham TP, Shapiro EP, *Mukherjee M. Defining the Role of Point-of-Care Ultrasound in Cardiovascular Disease: A Review. Am J Cardiol, 2018 Jul 19. pii: S0002-9149(18)31421-8.
Activities & Honors
- Summa Cum Laude, Bachelors of Science in Behavioral Neuroscience and Psychology, 2001
- William H. Beaumont Honors in Research, George Washington University School of Medicine, 2006
- Harold Lamport Biomedical Research Award, George Washington University School of Medicine, 2006
- Donald H. Glew Memorial Award, George Washington University School of Medicine, 2006
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology (FACC)
- Fellow, American Society of Echocardiography (FASE)
- Top 25 Young Investigator Award, American Society of Echocardiography, 2016
- American College of Cardiology
- American Society of Echocardiography
- American Heart Association
- National Board of Echocardiography
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Older Women May Be at Risk for Pulmonary Hypetension, MedPage Today (July 08, 2012)
International Spotlight on JHM Echo Programs, Medicine Matters, Johns Hopkins Medicine (June 21, 2016)
Advanced Echo Detection of Heart Disease in Scleroderma, Johns Hopkins Rheumatology (July 21, 2016)
Lend a Hand, Help a Heart, Inside Hopkins Medicine (July 26, 2016)
Cardiovascular Disease Among Transgender Adults Receiving Hormone Therapy: A Narrative Review, Article of the Week, Johns Hopkins Department of Medicine, Medicine Matters (July 25th, 2017)
Right Ventricular Myofilament Functional Differences in Humans with Systemic Sclerosis-associated versus Idiopathic Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension, Article of the Week, Johns Hopkins Department of Medicine, Medicine Matters (April 11th, 2018)
Improvement in Right Ventricular Strain with Ambrisentan and Tadalafil Upfront Therapy in Scleroderma-associated Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. Article of the Week, Johns Hopkins Department of Medicine, Medicine Matters (April 18th, 2018)