I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Ava A Kaufman, M.D.
Specializes in: Adults (18+ years)
Expertise: Geriatric Medicine, Internal Medicine, Women's Health
Bethesda Medical Building
Appointment Phone: 301-215-8480
8218 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814 map
Dr. Ava Kaufman believes in treating all patients the way she would like to be treated; with kindness, consideration, and utmost expert medical care. She has been an internist for more than 35 years.
Dr. Kaufman enjoys getting to know her patients well, knowing not just their medical problems, but their social situations, concerns and preferences.
Her goal is to not just treat the immediate problems (although Dr.Kaufman does that!), but to work on keeping her patients as healthy as possible. Dr. Kaufman works in partnership with her patients to optimize their physical and emotional well-being. She believes in preventive care, both by appropriate screening and by encouraging healthy habits. For older patients there is emphasis for maintaining independence and quality of life.
Dr. Kaufman is available by phone, email, and fax to her patients and their families, and works in close coordination with the best specialist physicians both locally and in referral centers. Her goal is to maintain your health so you can enjoy your life.
Departments / Divisions
- Medicine at Suburban Hospital
- MD, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine (1979)
- George Washington University Hospital / Internal Medicine (1982)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Geriatric Medicine (1992)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1983)
Activities & Honors
- Chairman, Suburban Hospital
- Number One Rated Physician by Patients, Washington Consumers Checkbook
- Top Doctor, Washingtonian Magazine
- Owner, Bethesda Internal Medicine and Geriatrics, 1997
- Internist, Woodburn Internal Medicine Associates, 1992 - 1997
- Internist, Yater Medical Group, 1990 - 1992
- Internist, Internal Medicine Associates, 1986 - 1990
- Physician in Charge, Preferred Medical Center of Henry Ford Hospital System, 1984 - 1986
- Instructor, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 1983 - 1984
- American College of Physicians
- American Medical Association
- Maryland Medical Association
- Montgomery County Medical Association
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
- Frailty is a medical condition, not an inevitable result of aging , a Washington Post interview with Suburban Hospital geriatrician Ava Kaufman, M.D., about fraility and aging.