I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Todd R. McNutt, M.S., Ph.D.
Director of Clinical Informatics
Associate Professor of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences
Research Interests: Radiation dose computation; Image-guided radiotherapy; Informatics; Intensity-modulated radiotherapy treatment planning
Dr. Todd McNutt is an associate professor of radiation oncology and molecular radiation sciences, health science information and oncology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His area of expertise is medical physics.
Dr. McNutt serves as the director of clinical informatics in the Department of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences.
His focus is on using prior clinical patient data to improve the quality of care for new patients undergoing radiation therapy. He developed Oncospace, an informatics program that uses anatomy, radiation dose distributions, toxicity, and outcome data to help physicians create optimal radiation treatment plans.
Dr. McNutt received his B.A. in physics from the University of Colorado Boulder. He earned his Ph.D. in medical physics from the University of Wisconsin–Madison. He completed a residency in medical physics at the University of Wisconsin–Madison.
Prior to joining Johns Hopkins, Dr. McNutt spent eight years as director of research and advance development for the Philips Pinnacle radiation therapy planning system. This industrial work was done in a commercial software development environment following the FDA quality system regulations for medical device manufacturing. There, he learned best practices in software development and design to meet customer and user interface requirements.
- Director of Clinical Informatics
- Associate Professor of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences
- Associate Professor of Health Sciences Informatics
- Associate Professor of Oncology
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- B.A., University of Colorado (Colorado) (1993)
- M.S., University of Wisconsin (Madison) (Wisconsin) (1996)
- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin (Madison) (Wisconsin) (1997)
Research & Publications
Dr. McNutt’s primary research goal is to create a medical environment that allows clinicians to measure how well they perform clinically for their patients. This requires incorporating medical IT infrastructure into the clinical setting and using it to measure the patient experience and quantify it for analysis and trending and feedback.
In the last five years, he has spent a great deal of effort integrating structured data collection into the clinical environment. This involves establishing workflows and user and software interfaces that enable the clinician to interact with the patients with minimal interaction with the computer. The primary focus of the work is to establish a database that allows efficient access to clinical data to look at toxicity and outcome trends and how they correlate with delivered radiation dosimetry.
Dr. McNutt and his team have also built a shape relationship-based model of patient similarity that allows them to look at prior radiation oncology patient treatment plans to determine the expected plan quality of a new patient. This model is shared with the broader EMR database model in that they used a database of prior experience to guide the treatment course for new patients. In addition, he has worked to accelerate the treatment planning process by automating planning techniques and developing a GPU-based dose computation algorithm for external beam radiation therapy.
- Jacques R, Wong J, Taylor R, McNutt T. "Real-time dose computation: GPU-accelerated source modeling and superposition/convolution." Med Phys. 2011 Jan;38(1):294-305.
- Ricchetti F, Wu B, McNutt T, Wong J, Forastiere A, Marur S, Starmer H, Sanguineti G. "Volumetric change of selected organs at risk during IMRT for oropharyngeal cancer." Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011 May 1;80(1):161-8. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2010.01.071. Epub 2010 Nov 19.
- Hobbs RF, McNutt T, Baechler S, He B, Esaias CE, Frey EC, Loeb DM, Wahl RL, Shokek O, Sgouros G. "A treatment planning method for sequentially combining radiopharmaceutical therapy and external radiation therapy." Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011 Jul 15;80(4):1256-62. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2010.08.022. Epub 2010 Oct 13.
- Clemente S, Wu B, Sanguineti G, Fusco V, Ricchetti F, Wong J, McNutt T. "SmartArc-based volumetric modulated arc therapy for oropharyngeal cancer: a dosimetric comparison with both intensity-modulated radiation therapy and helical tomotherapy." Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011 Jul 15;80(4):1248-55. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2010.08.007. Epub 2010 Oct 13.
- McNutt T, Wong J, Purdy J, Valicenti R, DeWeese T. "OncoSpace: A new paradigm for clinical research and decision support in radiation oncology." Proceedings of the XVIth Int’l Conf on Computers in Radiotherapy. 2010 June 1.
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Graduate Program Affiliation
Medical Physics Residency