I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Jochen Steppan, M.D.
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Languages: English, French, German
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
1800 Orleans St. Sheikh Zayed Tower Baltimore, MD 21287
Dr. Jochen Steppan is an associate professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He serves as the Director for Perioperative Medicine, High Risk Cardiovascular Disease. Clinically, he specializes in pediatric and adult cardiothoracic anesthesiology, as well as in patients with complex cardiovascular disease presenting for noncardiac surgery (including patients with pulmonary hypertension, congenital heart disease, and endstage heart failure). His research focus is twofold, 1) the improvement of care for patients with congenital heart disease and pulmonary hypertension, 2) vascular biology – particular to elicit the underlying mechanisms involved in vascular stiffening.
Dr. Steppan completed his M.D. at the Ruprecht Karls University in Heidelberg, Germany, where he also wrote his medical thesis in physiology. He conducted residencies in anesthesiology at the University Hospital of Heidelberg and the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Additionally, he completed fellowships in adult cardiothoracic anesthesiology and pediatric cardiac anesthesiology at Johns Hopkins. His research focuses on vascular stiffness, an important predictor of aging associated cardio-vascular morbidity, and the improvement of care for patients with congenital heart disease.
Dr. Steppan is a member of the American Heart Association, the International Anesthesia Research Society, the American Society of Anesthesiologists, and the Society for Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists. He holds several patents, has published extensively, and has won multiple awards for his research. He is certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology, holds the European Diploma in Anesthesiology (DESA), and successfully took the Examination of Special Competence in Advanced Perioperative Transesophageal Echocardiography.
- Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Departments / Divisions
- Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine - Adult Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology
- MD, Ruprecht Karls Universitat Heidelberg (2007)
- University Hospital of Heidelberg / Anesthesiology (2008)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine (2012)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine (2013)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology (2013)
Research & Publications
Dr. Steppan’s research focuses on the basic science aspects of vascular stiffness, an important predictor of aging associated cardio-vascular morbidity.
In a collaborative effort with a team of cardiovascular biologists, he addresses important pathways of aging associated changes in nitric oxide signaling, the nitroso-redox milieu, endothelial function, extracellular matrix composition and vascular reactivity. The goal of these studies is not merely to characterize and describe the underlying basic vascular pathophysiology but to move those studies into the clinical realm to ultimately prevent, halt or even reverse aging associated vascular stiffness.
This approach has recently been awarded with a FAER Mentored Research Training Grant – Basic Science, to evaluate a novel target: LOXL2 (lysine-oxidase-like-2), which might be intimately involved in the development or progression of vascular stiffness. This study will advance the understanding of LOXL2's role in the vasculature, and might lead to the characterization of a novel therapeutic target, which is of critical importance for the treatment of cardiovascular diseases in the aging population.
Steppan J, Bergman Y, Viegas K, Armstrong D, Tan Siqi, Wang Huilei, Melucci S, Hori D, Yong S, Barreto SF, Isak A, Jandu S, Flavahan N, Butlin M, An SS, Avolio A, Berkowitz DE, Halushka M, Santhanam L. Tissue Transglutaminase Modulates Vascular Stiffness and Function through Crosslinking-Dependent and Crosslinking-Independent Functions. J Am Heart Assoc. 2017 Feb 3;6(2). pii: e004161. doi: 10.1161/JAHA.116.004161
Steppan J, Tran HT, Bead VR, Oh YJ, Sikka G, Bivalacqua T, Burnett AL, Berkowitz DE, Santhanam L. Arginase Inhibition Reverses Endothelial Dysfunction, Pulmonary Hypertension, and Vascular Stiffness in Transgenic Sickle-Cell Mice. Anesth Analg. 2016 Sep;123(3):665-8
Steppan J, Sikka G, Hori D, Nyhan D, Berkowitz DE, Gottschalk A, Barodka V. Seeking a blood pressure-independent measure of vascular properties. Hypertens Res. 2016;39(1):27-38
Maxwell BG, Steppan J, Cheng A. Complications of Catheter-Based Electrophysiology Procedures in Adults with Congenital Heart Disease: A National Analysis. J Cardiothoracic Vasc Anesth. 2015;29(2):258-64
Steppan J, Sikka G, Jandu S, Barodka V, Haluska MK, Flavahan N, Belkin AM, Nyhan D, Butlin M, Avolio A, Berkowitz DE, Santhanam L. Exercise, vascular stiffness, and tissue transglutaminase. J Am Heart Assoc. 2014;3(2):e000599
Activities & Honors
- Research Award for Cardiopulmonary Medicine-1, Johns Hopkins Annual Research Day, 2016
- Research Award for Cardiothoracic Medicine, 17th Annual ACCM Research Day, 2015
- Research Award, Johns Hopkins Annual Research Day, 2014
- Research Award, Johns Hopkins Annual Research Day, 2011
- Best Scientific Abstract, Maryland Society of Anesthesiologists, 2011
- Best Abstracts of the Meeting: Anesthesiology Editor’s Picks, American Society of Anesthesiologists Annual Meeting, 2010
- Best Scientific Abstract, Maryland Society of Anesthesiologists, 2010
- Kosaka Award, International Anesthesia Research Society, 2009
- German Acupuncture Award, best research study, 2006
- American Heart Association, 2004
- American Society of Anesthesiologists, 2009
- Deutsche Arztegesellschaft fur Akupunktur (German Medical Society for Acupuncture), 2006
- European Society of Anaesthesiology, 2014
- International Anesthesia Research Society, 2009
- Society for Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists, 2012