I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Karen Bandeen-Roche, Ph.D.
Hurley-Dorrier Professor and Chair, Department of Biostatistics, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Joint Appointment in Medicine
Research Interests: Biostatistics; Latent variable models; Longitudinal data analysis; Multivariate data analysis; Multivariate survival analysis; Psychometrics; Psychological statistical methods and analysis; Gerontological statistical methods and analysis; Statistical methods and analysis for psychology gerontology and aging; Model development, implementation and application; Underlying-variable methods; Epidemiologic and psychosocial research; Classification and variance structure ...read more
Dr. Karen J. Bandeen-Roche is a professor of biostatistics at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. She holds a joint appointment at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Her research focuses on biostatistics and gerontology.
Dr. Bandeen-Roche is the Hurley-Dorrier Professor and Chair in the Department of Biostatistics at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. She also serves as deputy director of the Johns Hopkins Institute for Clinical and Translational Research, director of the Epidemiology and Biostatistics of Aging Training Program and the interim director of the Center on Aging and Health.
Her current research projects include determining causes and treatments for frailty in older adults; providing data management support and consultation for the Johns Hopkins Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center; and investigating the pathogenesis of physical disability in older women.
Dr. Bandeen-Roche received her B.S. in mathematics (with academic distinction and honors) from Andrews University. She earned her M.S. in operations research and Ph.D. in operations research and industrial engineering at Cornell University. Dr. Bandeen-Roche joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 1990.
She has published nearly 170 peer-reviewed scholarly articles, authored or co-authored a number of book chapters and other articles and presented almost 100 invited lectures.
- Hurley-Dorrier Professor and Chair, Department of Biostatistics, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Deputy Director, Johns Hopkins Institute for Clinical and Translational Research
- Director, Epidemiology and Biostatistics of Aging Training Program, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Interim Director, Center on Aging and Health
- Joint Appointment in Medicine
Centers & Institutes
Research & Publications
Dr. Bandeen-Roche’s research focuses on the development, implementation and application of models for problems, including underlying or unobservable processes of interest. Generally considered multivariate, latent-variable regression modeling, the area includes mixture models, measurement-error models and random-effects models.
Her most recent work has largely focused on applying underlying-variable methods in epidemiologic and psychosocial research. Her other areas of statistical research include the study of classification and variance structure and multivariate survival analysis—particularly in gerontology—and she has taken part in population research on aging for more than a decade. She also has collaborated extensively in ophthalmology and neurology research.
Deal JA, Richey Sharrett A, Bandeen-Roche K, Kritchevsky SB, Pompeii LA, Gwen Windham B, Lin FR. "Hearing impairment and physical function and falls in the atherosclerosis risk in communities hearing pilot study." J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016 Apr;64(4):906-8. doi: 10.1111/jgs.14075. No abstract available.
Gross AL, Xue QL, Bandeen-Roche K, Fried LP, Varadhan R, McAdams-DeMarco MA, Walston J, Carlson MC. "Declines and impairment in executive function predict onset of physical frailty." J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2016 Apr 15. pii: glw067. [Epub ahead of print]
Nguyen TQ, Poteat T, Bandeen-Roche K, German D, Nguyen YH, Vu LK, Nguyen NT, Knowlton AR. "The internalized homophobia scale for Vietnamese sexual minority women: conceptualization, factor structure, reliability, and associations with hypothesized correlates." Arch Sex Behav. 2016 Mar 23. [Epub ahead of print]
Rawlings AM, Bandeen-Roche K, Gross AL, Gottesman RF, Coker LH, Penman AD, Sharrett AR, Mosley TH. "Factor structure of the ARIC-NCS neuropsychological battery: an evaluation of invariance across vascular factors and demographic characteristics." Psychol Assess. 2016 Mar 10. [Epub ahead of print]
Godino JG, Appel LJ, Gross AL, Schrack JA, Parrinello CM, Kalyani RR, Windham BG, Pankow JS, Kritchevsky SB, Bandeen-Roche K, Selvin E. "Diabetes, hyperglycemia, and the burden of functional disability among older adults in a community-based study." J Diabetes. 2016 Feb 5. doi: 10.1111/1753-0407.12386. [Epub ahead of print]
Riis JL, Granger DA, Minkovitz CS, Bandeen-Roche K, DiPietro JA, Johnson SB. "Maternal distress and child neuroendocrine and immune regulation." Soc Sci Med. 2016 Feb;151:206-14. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2015.12.043. Epub 2016 Jan 5.
Pustavoitau A, Barodka V, Sharpless NE, Torrice C, Nyhan D, Berkowitz DE, Shah AS, Bandeen Roche KJ, Walston JD. "Role of senescence marker p16(INK4a) measured in peripheral blood T-lymphocytes in predicting length of hospital stay after coronary artery bypass surgery in older adults." Exp Gerontol. 2016 Feb;74:29-36. doi: 10.1016/j.exger.2015.12.003. Epub 2015 Dec 9.
Buta BJ, Walston JD, Godino JG, Park M, Kalyani RR, Xue QL, Bandeen-Roche K, Varadhan R. "Frailty assessment instruments: Systematic characterization of the uses and contexts of highly-cited instruments." Ageing Res Rev. 2016 Mar;26:53-61. doi: 10.1016/j.arr.2015.12.003. Epub 2015 Dec 7. Review.
Schwartz BS, Pollak J, Bailey-Davis L, Hirsch AG, Cosgrove SE, Nau C, Kress AM, Glass TA, Bandeen-Roche K. "Antibiotic use and childhood body mass index trajectory." Int J Obes (Lond). 2016 Apr;40(4):615-21. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2015.218. Epub 2015 Oct 21.
Gross AL, Power MC, Albert MS, Deal JA, Gottesman RF, Griswold M, Wruck LM, Mosley TH Jr, Coresh J, Sharrett AR, Bandeen-Roche K. "Application of latent variable methods to the study of cognitive decline when tests change over time." Epidemiology. 2015 Nov;26(6):878-87. doi: 10.1097/EDE.0000000000000379.
Bandeen-Roche K, Seplaki CL, Huang J, Buta B, Kalyani RR, Varadhan R, Xue QL, Walston JD, Kasper JD. "Frailty in older adults: a nationally representative profile in the United States." J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2015 Nov;70(11):1427-34. doi: 10.1093/gerona/glv133. Epub 2015 Aug 21.
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Courses and Syllabi
Statistical Methods in Public Health I
Activities & Honors
- Visiting Professor on Aging, Yale University, 2014
- Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Teaching, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2010
- Advising, Mentoring, and Teaching Recognition Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2010
- Advising, Mentoring, and Teaching Recognition Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2005
- Advising, Mentoring, and Teaching Recognition Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2001
- Fellow, American Statistical Association, 2001
- Garland Clay Award for Significant Paper, American Academy of Optometry, 1999
- Delta Omega, 1998
- Brookdale National Fellow, Brookdale Foundation Group, 1997
- Citation in Recognition and Appreciation of Special Achievement, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, 1987
- American Statistical Association
- The International Biometrics Society
- The Gerontological Society of America
- Institute of Mathematical Statistics
- President, International Biometric Society, Eastern North American Region, 2012
- Statistical Consultant, Journal of Gerontology: Medical Sciences, 2006
- Chair, Biometrics Section, American Statistical Association, 2006
- Associate Editor, Biometrics, 2002
- Associate Editor, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 2002