I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Mona Adel Mohamed, M.B.B.Ch., M.P.H., M.Sc., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Dr. Mona Mohamed completed her undergraduate and medical degree (MD) from Ain Shams University in Cairo, Egypt. She then went on for Radiology residency in the same institution and earned her Master degree in Radiology (MSc) in 1990 followed by her Doctorate degree in Radiology in 1995 (PhD). In 2002, she came to USA to work as a post doctoral fellow on functional MRI (fMRI) research in the Neuroradiology department at Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions. From there she worked on MR spectroscopy (MRS) research. During her work in Johns Hopkins, Dr Mohamed earned her Master of Public Health degree (MPH) in 2011 from Johns Hopkins School of Public health and earned her Master in Education in the Health Professions (MEHP) in 2015 from the Johns Hopkins School of Education. Dr Mohamed is currently serving as an Assistant Professor of Radiology at Hopkins as well as a Professor and distant mentor to the Radiology Post Doctoral fellows in Ain Shams University in Cairo, Egypt.
- Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Departments / Divisions
- Radiology and Radiological Science - Neuroradiology
- M.B.B.Ch., Ain Shams University - Fac of Medicine - Cairo - (330-04 Pr 1/71) (Egypt) (1985)
- M.Sc., Ain Shams University - Fac of Medicine - Cairo - (330-04 Pr 1/71) (Egypt) (1990)
- Ph.D., Ain Shams University - Fac of Medicine - Cairo - (330-04 Pr 1/71) (Egypt) (1995)
- M.P.H., Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (Maryland) (2011)
- M.E.H.P., Johns Hopkins University (Maryland) (2015)
Research & Publications
My research work is dedicated to the clinical application of advanced MR imaging, spectroscopy and functional imaging for studies of human metabolism to evaluate patients with neurological, psychiatric diseases particularly in obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), schizophrenia, depression, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), HIV and brain tumors. I am also interested in mentoring US and international post-doctoral fellows in their doctorate thesis as well as networking. I am currently the president of Hopkins Toastmasters club. Recently, I have been invited by the state department to meet Chinese women delegates and scientists to foster US china diplomatic relations and to discuss various issues faced by women in academia.
Mohamed MA, Lentz MR, Lee V, Halpern EF, Sacktor N, et al. Factor analysis of proton MR spectroscopic imaging data in HIV infection: metabolite-derived factors help identify infection and dementia. Radiology. 2010 Feb;254(2):577-86. PubMed PMID: 20093528; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2815344.
Lentz MR, Degaonkar M, Mohamed MA, Kim H, Conant K, et al. Exploring the relationship of macrophage colony-stimulating factor levels on neuroaxonal metabolism and cognition during chronic human immunodeficiency virus infection. J Neurovirol. 2010 Oct;16(5):368-76. PubMed PMID: 20839921; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3164773.
Mohamed MA, Barker PB, Skolasky RL, Selnes OA, Moxley RT, et al. Brain metabolism and cognitive impairment in HIV infection: a 3-T magnetic resonance spectroscopy study. Magn Reson Imaging. 2010 Nov;28(9):1251-7. PubMed PMID: 20688449; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2963667.
Contact for Research Inquiries
Radiology Department, Neuroradiology Division
600 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Courses and Syllabi
Radiology Residents Lectures Series
Activities & Honors
- Distinguished Reviewer Award, Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging (JMRI), 2014
- Gatewood Award, MRS of Amyotrophic sclerosis (ALS), 2009
- Member, The Johns Hopkins Medical and Surgical Association, 2003
- Member, International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM), 2002
- Member, Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), 2002
- Member, American Society of Neuroradiology (ASNR), 2002
- Member, American Association for Women Radiologists, 2003
- Member, European Congress of Radiology (ECR), 2008
- Member, The American Association of University Women, 2014
- Mentor, Baltimore Community College USA Citizenship Preparation Program, 2014
- Project Leader, Johns Hopkins Radiology Department Peer to Peer Mentoring Program, 2014
- Member, Johns Hopkins Radiology Diversity Committee, 2015