I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Stephen P. Teret, J.D.
Director, Center for Law and the Public’s Health
Joint Appointment in Emergency Medicine
Research Interests: Health policy and management; Law; Public health; Firearms injury prevention policy; Epidemiology of firearms injuries; Injury prevention policy; Obesity prevention policy; Vaccine policy; Bioterrorism; Violence; Alcohol; Injuries; Public health advocacy ...read more
Dr. Stephen P. Teret holds joint appointments in emergency medicine and in pediatrics at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He is a professor of health policy and management at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Dr. Teret serves as the director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Law and the Public's Health.
A recognized expert in health policy and management, Dr. Teret has spent nearly four decades developing and analyzing innovative ways the law can be used to protect public health.
He is the founding director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research and now serves on its faculty and focuses on firearm safety technology.
He is the former director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Injury Research and Policy and now serves on its faculty.
Dr. Teret has worked on guns as a public health issue since 1979, focusing on the epidemiology of gun-related morbidity and mortality, legal and policy approaches to reducing gun violence, gun litigation and changing the design of guns.
He has served as a consultant on gun policy to the president of the United States, the attorney general, the U.S. Congress, state governors and state legislatures. He is the recipient of distinguished career awards from the American Public Health Association and the Association of Trial Lawyers of America.
His research interests include health policy and management; the use of the law in protecting public health; policy and epidemiology of firearm injury prevention; policy related to injury prevention, obesity prevention and vaccines; law and bioterrorism; alcohol and injuries; violence; and public health advocacy.
Dr. Teret earned his J.D. at Brooklyn Law School and his M.P.H. at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. He also holds a B.A. from St. Lawrence University.
- Director, Center for Law and the Public’s Health
- Joint Appointment in Emergency Medicine
- Joint Appointment in Pediatrics
Research & Publications
Wolfson JA, Frattaroli S, Bleich SN, Smith KC, Teret SP. "Perspectives on learning to cook and public support for cooking education policies in the United States: A mixed methods study." Appetite. 2017 Jan 1;108:226-237. doi: 10.1016/j.appet.2016.10.004. Epub 2016 Oct 5
Wolfson JA, Teret SP, Azrael D, Miller M. "US public opinion on carrying firearms in public places." Am J Public Health. 2017 Jun;107(6):929-937. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2017.303712. Epub 2017 Apr 20
Wolfson JA, Teret SP, Frattaroli S, Miller M, Azrael D. "The US public's preference for safer guns." Am J Public Health. 2016 Mar;106(3):411-3. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2015.303041. Epub 2016 Jan 21. No abstract available
Vernick JS, Rutkow L, Webster DW, Teret SP. "Changing the constitutional landscape for firearms: the US Supreme Court's recent Second Amendment decisions." Am J Public Health. 2011 Nov;101(11):2021-6. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2011.300200. Epub 2011 Sep 22
Rutkow L, Teret SP. "Influencing corporations' injury-producing practices: lessons learned from the Toyota recall." Inj Prev. 2011 Jun;17(3):209-10. doi: 10.1136/ip.2010.030338. Epub 2011 Mar 24
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Courses and Syllabi
Clinic for Public Health Law and Policy
Activities & Honors
- Chairman’s Circle of Commendation, U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, 2012
- Golden Apple Award, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health students, 2011
- Golden Apple Award, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health students, 2005
- Ernest L. Stebbins Medal, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2003
- Sol Feinstone Award, St. Lawrence University, 1996
- Distinguished Career Award, American Public Health Association, Injury Control and Emergency Health Services Section, 1993
- Distinguished Service Award, Association of Trial Lawyers of America, 1993
- Golden Apple Award, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health students, 1989
- Golden Apple Award, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health students, 1984
- National Angel of Peace Award, Violence Prevention Coalition of Greater Los Angeles
- Delta Omega, Alpha Chapter, National Public Health Honorary Society
- Director, Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research, 1995
- Director, Johns Hopkins Center for Injury Research and Policy, 1988
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Smart Guns Are Smart Policy, The New York Times, Jan. 10, 2016