I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Allen Omid Eghrari, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology
Languages: English, Persian, Spanish
Expertise: Cataracts, Cornea Transplant, Cornea/Anterior Segment Disease, Corneal Diseases, Corneal Dystrophies, Ebola-associated eye disease, External Diseases of the Eye, Fuchs Endothelial Corneal Dystrophy, Ophthalmology, Refractive Surgery ...read more
Research Interests: Ebola Virus Disease; Fuchs Corneal Dystrophy; Cataract Surgery; Corneal Dystrophies
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Allen O. Eghrari, M.D., M.P.H., is Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at the Wilmer Eye Institute and a specialist in cornea, cataract and external eye diseases. He treats a wide range of eye conditions, with special interest in Ebola-associated eye disease, Fuchs Dystrophy, cataract surgery, and corneal transplantation.
Dr. Eghrari received his M.D. degree from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and M.P.H. from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. He completed both residency training in ophthalmology and subspecialty fellowship in cornea and cataract surgery at the Wilmer Eye Institute at Johns Hopkins.
Dr. Eghrari is a recipient of the Claes Dohlman Society Fellowship Award, the ARVO/Alcon Early Career Clinician-Scientist Award, and the Research to Prevent Blindness Special Scholar Award. He serves on the Advisory Board of the Johns Hopkins University Social Innovation Lab, an incubator for projects facilitating social change in local and global communities.
- Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology
Departments / Divisions
- Ophthalmology - Cornea and Anterior Segment
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2009)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Ophthalmology (2013)
- American Board of Ophthalmology / Ophthalmology (2016)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Barnes K, Chiang E, Chen C, Lohmeier J, Christy J, Chaurasia A, Rosen A, Vora P, Cai S, Subramanya A, Durr N, Allen R, Eghrari AO. Comparison of Tri-folded and Scroll-Based Graft Viability in Preloaded Descemet Membrane Endothelial Keratoplasty. Cornea. 2018 Dec 13.
Lohmeier J, Christy J, Chiang E, Barnes K, Cai S, Chen C, Subramanya A, Chaurasia A, Rosen A, Vora P, Durr NJ, Allen R, Eghrari AO. Viability of Descemet Membrane Endothelial Keratoplasty Grafts Folded in the Eye Bank. Cornea. 2018 Nov;37(11):1474-1477
Eghrari AO, Mumtaz AA, Garrett B, Rezaei M, Akhavan MS, Riazuddin SA, Gottsch JD. Automated Retroillumination Photography Analysis for Objective Assessment of Fuchs Corneal Dystrophy. Cornea. 2017 Jan;36(1):44-47.
Eghrari AO, Riazuddin SA, Gottsch JD. Distinct Clinical Phenotype of Corneal Dystrophy Predicts the p.(Leu450Trp) Substitution in COL8A2. Cornea. 2016 May;35(5):587-91.
Eghrari AO, McGlumphy EJ, Iliff BW, Wang J, Emmert D, Riazuddin SA, Katsanis N, Gottsch JD. Prevalence and severity of fuchs corneal dystrophy in Tangier Island. Am J Ophthalmol. 2012 Jun;153(6):1067-72.
Activities & Honors
- Dean's Predoctoral Research Fellowship, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Public Engagement, University of Illinois
- Mitchell Research Prize, Wilmer Eye Institute
- Claes Dohlman Society Fellowship Award
- Aliki Perroti Scholar, Wilmer Eye Institute
- Fuchs Corneal Dystrophy Research Grant Award
- A. Edward Maumenee Research Grant Award
- Robert P. Larsen Award in Human Development
- Undergraduate Research Fellowship, Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Research to Prevent Blindness Special Scholar Award, 2018
- ARVO/Alcon Early Career Clinician-Scientist Award