I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Alena V. Savonenko, M.D., Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pathology
Research Interests: Neurobiological mechanisms of normal aging and neurodegenerative disorders, such as Alzheimer's disease; Animal behavioral models; Neurobiological mechanisms of learning and memory ...read more
Dr. Alena Savonenko is associate professor of pathology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Her research focuses on neuropathology. She is an associated investigator at the Alzheimer''s Disease Research Center at Johns Hopkins.
She earned her Ph.D. at Moscow State University.
- Associate Professor of Pathology
- Associate Professor of Neurology
Centers & Institutes
- M.D., Tomskij Ord Trud Krasnogo Znameni Medicine Inst - Tomsk - Russian SFSR (Russia) (1989)
- Ph.D., Moscow State University (Russia) (1994)
Research & Publications
Dr. Savonenko’s research interests include neurobiological mechanisms of learning and memory, animal behavioral models, and neurobiological mechanisms of normal aging and neurodegenerative disorders, such as Alzheimer's disease.
- Melnikova T, Fromholt S, Kim H, Lee D, Xu G, Price A, Moore BD, Golde TE, Felsenstein KM, Savonenko A, Borchelt DR. "Reversible pathologic and cognitive phenotypes in an inducible model of Alzheimer-amyloidosis." J Neurosci. 2013 Feb 27;33(9):3765-79. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.4251-12.2013.
- Tabatadze N, Savonenko A, Song H, Bandaru VV, Chu M, Haughey NJ. "Inhibition of neutral sphingomyelinase-2 perturbs brain sphingolipid balance and spatial memory in mice." J Neurosci Res. 2010 Oct;88(13):2940-51. doi: 10.1002/jnr.22438.
- Oh ES, Savonenko AV, King JF, Fangmark Tucker SM, Rudow GL, Xu G, Borchelt DR, Troncoso JC. "Amyloid precursor protein increases cortical neuron size in transgenic mice." Neurobiol Aging. 2009 Aug;30(8):1238-44. doi: 10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2007.12.024. Epub 2008 Mar 4.
- Savonenko AV, Melnikova T, Laird FM, Stewart KA, Price DL, Wong PC. "Alteration of BACE1-dependent NRG1/ErbB4 signaling and schizophrenia-like phenotypes in BACE1-null mice." Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008 Apr 8;105(14):5585-90. doi: 10.1073/pnas.0710373105. Epub 2008 Apr 2.
- Melnikova T, Savonenko A, Wang Q, Liang X, Hand T, Wu L, Kaufmann WE, Vehmas A, Andreasson KI. "Cycloxygenase-2 activity promotes cognitive deficits but not increased amyloid burden in a model of Alzheimer's disease in a sex-dimorphic pattern." Neuroscience. 2006 Sep 1;141(3):1149-62. Epub 2006 Jun 6.
Activities & Honors
- Synergy Award, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2017