I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Benjamin Rubin, M.D.
Specializes in: Adults (18+ years)
Languages: English, Hebrew
Expertise: Comprehensive Medical and Surgical Ophthalmology, Ophthalmology
Benjamin Rubin, MD
Appointment Phone: 301-309-1886
7801 Renoir Court
Potomac, MD 20854 map
Dr. Rubin was one of 300 Ophthalmologists in the US selected to study a new steroid which was evaluated for use in asthma and allergy. Dr. Rubin was certified in special refraction techniques and in the evaluations of cataracts using the LOCS technique developed by research at the NIH.
In 2005 he was the Boucher Lecturer at USC Estelle Doheny Eye Center. Dr. Rubin has lectured at the NIH, the University of Illinois Eye and Ear Hospital and at the Jules Stein Eye Institute at UCLA. He was at the NIH for 15 years and has been involved in the care of patients with many eye disease and those related to receiving treatment for Melanoma, Bone Marrow/Stem Cell Transplant, Sickle Cell Disease, Cystanosis and NOMID.
The latter two are very rare diseases, the treatments of which have resulted in remarkable benefit to the patients. Another interest has been in the treatment of severe dry eye. He was the recipient of the prestigious Richard C. Troutman Award in Ophthalmology at SUNY Downstate Medical College in April 2007. Dr. Rubin is a co-author in a number of prestigious journals, including the New England Journal of Medicine.
Together with Dr. James Fielding Hejtmanick, he was involved in the discovery of the gene responsible for Francois Neetans Cornea Dystrophy. Dr. Rubin received a patent for a drug that inactivates Matrix Metallo Protease from the United States Patent and Trade Office. His research with this drug is ongoing and this may be a major contribution to the treatment of eye and medical diseases.
He continues to collaborate with Dr. Hejmanick looking for the gene responsible for Pterygium, Fuch’s Dystrophy, Familial Macula Degeneration. He continues to collaborate with Manuel Datiles, MD at the National Eye Institute on Hypo-Alpha Protein cataracts, a cataract that affects men and women in their 50-60''s. His research continues to keep him involved in academics and abreast of the most recent discoveries in many fields of medicine.
You learn more about Dr.Rubin on his website.
Departments / Divisions
- Surgery at Suburban Hospital
- MD, SUNY Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine (1982)
- SUNY Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine / General Surgery (1984)
- SUNY Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine / Ophthalmology (1987)
- SUNY Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine / Ophthalmology (1988)
- American Board of Ophthalmology / Ophthalmology (1989)
Research & Publications
- A Randomized Phase 1-2 Study to Assess Safety, Toxicity and Activity of CsG Compared to CsA
- A Randomized Trial of Foscarnet in Patients with Cytomegalovirus
- Combined Cyclosporine and Bromocriptine Therapy for the Treatment of Noninfectious Uveitis
- Effect of Hyperosmotic Blood Brain Barrier Disruption on Intra-arterial Drug Delivery in Patients with Brain Tumors
- A Randomized Trial of DHPG vs. DHPG and Argon retinal laser in patients with Cytomegalo virus
- A Randomized Study to Assess Safety, Toxicity and Activity of Cyclosporine A Compared to Cyclosporine A with Ketaconozole
- A Randomized Study to Assess Diamox in the Treatment of Cystoid Macular Edema in Uveitis Patients
- Evaluation of the Anti inflammatory Potential of Anti Flammins in Acute Anterior Uveitis Protocol 91-EI-79
- Evaluation of Conjunctival and Lacrimal Biopsy in the Diagnosis of Sarcoid Uveitis
- Safety and Efficacy Trial of a Proposed NDA Formulation of Topical Cysteamine in the Treatment of Corneal Cystine Crystal Accumulation in Cystinosis 98-EI-0109
- Screening Study for the Evaluation and Diagnosis of Potential Research Subjects with Inherited Ophthalmic Diseases 98-EI-0072
- Usher Syndrome-Clinical and Molecular Studies 93-EI-0161
- Trial of Topical Cysteamine in the Treatment of Corneal Cysteine Crystal Cysteine Crystal Accumulation in Cystinosis 86-EI-0062
- The Diagnosis, Pathogenesis and Treatment of Gyrate Atrophy of the Choroid and Retina 78-EI-0001
- Clinical and Basic Investigations into Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome 95-CH-0193
- Clinical and Molecular Manifestations of Heritable Connective Tissue Disorders 97-HG-0089
- 03-AR-0298 A Pilot Study with the IL-1 Receptor Antagonist Anakinra/Kineret in Patients with Neonatal Onset Multisystem Inflammatory Disease (NOMID/CINCA Syn Treatment of Alkaptonuria with NTSB, William Gahl, MD PhD
- Clinical Trial evaluating Cicloneside for treatment of allergic rhinitis, Altana pharmaceuticals
- Clinical Trial evaluating Cicloneside for treatment of asthma, Aventis pharmaceuticals
- 05-AR-0014 A Pilot Open-Label Study of IL 1 Trap in Adult Subjects with Autoinflammatory Disease: A Therapeutic Approach to Study Pathogenesis.
- 06-EI-0059 Clinical and Molecular Studies in Families with Glaucoma and Related Diseases
- 05-EI-0143 Molecular Genetics of Retinal Degenerations
- 05-EI-0002 A Multi-Center, Phase I Clinical Trial to Study the Safety of a Sustained-Release Subconjunctival Cyclosporine Implant for Ocular Graft-vs-Host Disease
- 04-C-0281 Prospective Assessment of Clinical and Biological Factors Determining Outcomes in Patients with Chronic Graft-Versus-Host Disease
- 04-EI-0008 Clinical and Molecular Studies in Families With Corneal Dystrophy or Other Inherited Corneal Diseases
- 03-AR-0173 Studies of the Pathogenesis and Natural History of Neonatal Onset Multisystem Inflammatory Disease (NOMID)
- 03-EI-0275 Pilot Study on the Use of the NASA-NEI Dynamic Light Scattering (DLS) Device in Detecting lens Changes in the other Eye of Patients with Pre-Senile Cataracts
- 03-EI-0123 Clinical and Molecular Studies in Families with Congenital or Hereditary Cataracts
- 01-HG-0094 Molecular Analysis of Microphthalmia/Anophthalmia
- 86-EI-0062 Trial of Topical Cysteamine in the Treatment of Corneal Cystine Crystal Accumulation in Cystinosis
- 06-H-0054 Evaluation of Synergy of Combining Hydroxyurea with Recombinant Human Erythropoietin Glycoform Alpha (rhu Erythropoietin-alpha) on Fetal Hemoglobin Synthesis in Patients with Sickle Cell Anemia
- CLDA-07-DP-04 A One Year Open Label Study Assessing the Safety and Tolerability of Vilazodone in Patients with Major Depressive Disorder
- GSK- FFR110537. Sub PI: Two year comparison of the Ocular Safety of Fluticasone Furoate Nasal Spray Vehicle Placebo Nasal Spray In the Treatment of Perennial Allergic Rhinitis In Adults and Adolescents 12 years of Age and Older.
- Alcon Xalatan vs Travatan Z clinical Trial
- GSK- HZA 106839: Sub PI: Asthma Study
- Sunovion Drug company study of Nasal spray
- Rubin B, Munion L. Retinal findings in an adolescent with juvenile pernicious anemia. N Y State J Med. 1982 Jul;82(8):1239-41. PMID: 6957746
- Glanz S, Gordan D, Butt K, Hong J, Rubin B; Post transplant ureter obstruction treated with balloon dilation and stent placement. Radiology 149: 101-104, 1983.
- Rubin B; Kowa ophthalmic photograph of the month. Ophthalmology Times,1983.
- Miller C, Rubin B; Nikon residents diagnosis of the month, 1986.
- Feinstien N, Rubin, B; Toxicity of Flurbiprofen sodium. Archives of Ophthalmology, 1988, 106(3):311.
- Freedman J, Rubin B; Simplified approach to the placement of the single stage long tube Molteno glaucoma implant, Video presentation, American Academy of Ophthalmology-Dallas 1988.
- Freedman J, Molteno ACB, Rubin B; Single plate Molteno glaucoma implant in treating neovascular glaucoma, a 10 year experience. Presented at the American Academy of Ophthalmology- Dallas 1988.
- Rubin B, Freedman J; New York Academy of Ophthalmology- Experience in Pediatric Glaucoma with the Molteno Glaucoma Implant, May 1988.
- Rubin B, Palestine AG. Complications of corticosteroid and immunosuppressive drugs. Int Ophthalmol Clin. 1989 Fall;29(3):159-71. Review. PMID: 2526794.
- Palestine AG; Polis MA, de Smet MD; Baird BF, Rubin B, Masur H, Baird B, Mellow S Nussenblatt RB, Lane HC; A randomized, controlled trial of Foscarnet in the treatment of cytomegalovirus retinitis in patients with AIDS. Annals of Internal Medicine 1991 Nov 1;115(9):665-73.
- Rubin B, Chan CC, Burnier M, Munion L, Freedman J. Histopathologic study of the Molteno glaucoma implant in three patients.
- Am J Ophthalmol. 1990 Oct 15;110(4):371-9. PMID: 2220971.
- Rubin B, Nussenblatt RB; Cyclosporine. Ophthalmology Report , CV Mosby1(1), Spring 1992.
- Belfort R Jr, deSmet, M, Rubin B, Balkissoon J, Nussenblatt RB, Rosenberg S A.; M-CSF Induced Uveitis and Scleritis in Patients with Advanced Cancer. Ocular Microbiology and Immunology Group Proctor Foundation, 1990.
- Belfort R Jr, Nussenblatt RB, Lottemberg C, Kwitko S, Rubin B, deSmet MD. Spontaneous lens subluxation in uveitis [letter] Am J Ophthalmol 1990 Dec 15;110(6):714-6.
- Belfort R Jr, Nussenblatt RB, Lottemberg C, Kwitko S, Chamon W, de Smet M, Rubin B. Spontaneous lens subluxation in uveitis. Am J Ophthalmol. 1990 Dec 15;110(6):714-6. PMID: 2248347.
- Rubin BI, Holland EJ, de Smet MD, Belfort R Jr, Nussenblatt RB. Response of reactivated ligneous conjunctivitis to topical cyclosporine. Am J Ophthalmol. 1991 Jul 15;112(1):95-6. PMID: 1882932.
- Freedman J, Rubin B; Molteno Implants as a Treatment for Refractory Glaucoma in Black Patients, Archives of Ophthalmology 109:10,1991, p 1417-20.
- Lopez JS, Chan CC, Burnier M, Rubin B, Nussenblatt RB. Immunohistochemistry findings in primary intraocular lymphoma. Am J Ophthalmol. 1991 Oct 15;112(4):472-4. PMID: 1928262.
- Whitcup SM, Butler KM, Caruso R, de Smet MD, Rubin B, Husson RN, Lopez JS, Belfort R Jr, Pizzo PA, Nussenblatt RB. Retinal toxicity in human immunodeficiency virus-infected children treated with 2',3'-dideoxyinosine. Am J Ophthalmol. 1992 Jan 15;113(1):1-7. PMID: 1728133.
- Freedman J, Rubin B; Molteno Implants, Correspondence Archives of Ophthalmology May 110:5,1992, p 596.
- de Smet MD, Rubin BI, Whitcup SM, Lopez JS, Austin HA, Nussenblatt RB. Combined use of cyclosporine and ketoconazole in the treatment of endogenous uveitis. Am J Ophthalmol. 1992 Jun 15;113(6):687-90. PMID: 1598960.
- de Smet M D, Butler KM, Rubin BI, Whitcup SM, Lopez J, Debarge R, Martin D, Pizzo PA, Nussenblatt RM: The Ocular Complications of HIV in the Pediatric Population. International Symposium on Uveitis.
- Freedman J, Rubin B; Molteno Implants, Correspondence Archives of Ophthalmology Sept 110:9,1992, p 1197.
- B. Rubin, RB Nussenblatt : Cyclosporine: Mosby Yearbook Publications 1992, A Schacat ed.
- Nussenblatt, RB , de Smet, MD , Rubin et al: Cyclosporine A vs G, A clinical Trial. A masked, randomized, dose response study between cyclosporine A and G in the Treatment of sight threatening uveitis of noninfectious origin. American Journal of Ophthalmology May 1993 115.5 p 583-592.
- Whitcup SM, de Smet MD, Rubin BI, Palestine AG, Martin DF, Burnier M Jr, Chan CC, Nussenblatt RB. Intraocular lymphoma. Clinical and histopathologic diagnosis. Ophthalmology. 1993 Sep;100(9):1399-406. PMID: 8371930.
- Letter to the Editor. Too Many Ophthalmologists? Review of Ophthalmology, August 1995 pg. 24.
- Letter to the editor, Ophthalmology Times, Neurofibramatosis must be distinguished. July 1, 1999.
- Whitcup SM, Chan CC, Buggage RR, Nussenblatt RB, Byrnes GA, Rubin BI. Improving the diagnostic yield of vitrectomy for intraocular lymphoma. Arch Ophthalmol. 2000 Mar;118(3):446. PMID: 10721983.
- Tsilou ET, Rubin BI, Caruso RC, Reed GF, Hejtmancik JH, Redman, JB: and Kaiser-Kupfer MI: Natural history of Usher syndrome and comparison of severity of the ocular symptoms and signs between the two major types, I and II. Acta Ophthalmologica Scandinavica, Volume 80, Number 2, April 2002, pp. 196-201(6).
- Tsilou E, Stratakis CA, Rubin BI, Hay BN, Patronas N, and Kaiser-Kupfer MI: Ophthalmic manifestations of Allgrove syndrome. Clin Dysmorphology. 2001 Jul;10(3):231-3.
- Tsilou E, Rubin BI, Caruso RC, Kaiser-Kupfer M. A case of Alport's syndrome and retinal degeneration. Retina. 2001;21(1):89-92. Erratum in: Retina 2001;21(4):392. PMID: 11217946.
- Tsilou ET, Rubin BI, Reed GF, Iwata F, Gahl W, Kaiser-Kupfer MI. Age-related prevalence of anterior segment complications in patients with infantile nephropathic cystinosis. Cornea. 2002 Mar;21(2):173-6. PMID: 11862089.
- Tsilou E, Csaky K, Rubin BI, Gahl W, Kaiser-Kupfer M. Retinal visualization in an eye with corneal crystals using indocyanine green video angiography. Am J Ophthalmol. 2002 Jul;134(1):123-5. PMID: 12095822.
- Tsilou, ET, Rubin, BI, Caruso, RC, Reed, GF, Pikus A, Hejtmancik, JF, Iwata, F, Redman JB, Kaiser-Kupfer, MI. Usher syndrome clinical types I and II could ocular symptoms and signs differentiate between the two types? Acta Ophthalmol Scand 2002 Apr: 80(2):196-201.
- Xia, J, Munier, FL, Schorderet, DF, Zografos, L, Smith, J, Rubin, BI, Hejtmancik. Genetic Linkage of Francois-Neetans fleck (mouchetee) Corneal Dystrophy to Chromosome 2q35. Hum Genet. 2003 May;112(5-6):593-9.
- Tsilou ET, Thompson D, Lindblad AS, Reed GF, Rubin B, Gahl W, Thoene J, Del Monte M, Schneider JA, Granet DB, Kaiser-Kupfer MI. A multi-center randomized double masked clinical trial of a new formulation of topical cysteamine for the treatment of corneal cystine crystals in cystinosis. Br J Ophthalmol. 2003 Jan;87(1):28-31. PMID: 12488257.
- Liberfarb RM, Levy HP, Rose PS, Wilkin DJ, Davis J, Balog JZ, Griffith AJ, Szymko-Bennett YM, Johnston JJ, Francomano CA, Tsilou E, Rubin BI. The Stickler syndrome: genotype/phenotype correlation in 10 families with Stickler syndrome resulting from seven mutations in the type II collagen gene locus COL2A1. Genet Med. 2003 Jan-Feb;5(1):21-7. Review. Erratum in: Genet Med. 2003 Nov-Dec;5(6):478. PMID: 12544472.
- Robinson MR, Lee SS, Rubin BI, Wayne AS, Pavletic SZ, Bishop MR, Childs R, Barrett AJ, Csaky KG. Topical corticosteroid therapy for cicatricial conjunctivitis associated with chronic graft-versus-host disease. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2004 May;33(10):1031-5. PMID: 15048138.
- Tsilou ET, Rubin BI, Reed GF, McCain L, Huizing M, White J, Kaiser-Kupfer MI, Gahl W. Milder ocular findings in Hermansky-Pudlak syndrome type 3 compared with Hermansky-Pudlak syndrome type 1. Ophthalmology. 2004 Aug;111(8):1599-603. PMID: 15288994.
- Robinson MR, Chan CC, Yang JC, Rubin BI, Gracia GJ, Sen HN, Csaky KG, Rosenberg SA. Cytotoxic T lymphocyte-associated antigen 4 blockade in patients with metastatic melanoma: a new cause of uveitis. J Immunother. 2004 Nov-Dec;27(6):478-9. PMID: 15534492.
- Dogulu, CF, Tsilou E, Rubin BI, Kaiser MK, Rennert OM. Gahl WA. Idiopathic intracranial hypertension in cystinosis. J Pediatr. 2004 Nov;145(5):673-8.
- Rose PS, Levy HP, Liberfarb RM, Davis J, Szymko-Bennett Y, Rubin BI, Tsilou E, Griffith AJ, Francomano CA. Stickler syndrome: clinical characteristics and diagnostic criteria. Am J Med Genet A. 2005 Oct 15;138(3):199-207. PMID: 16152640.
- Suwannarat P, O'Brien K, Perry MB, Sebring N, Bernardini I, Kaiser-Kupfer MI, Rubin BI, Tsilou E, Gerber LH, Gahl WA. Use of nitisinone in patients with alkaptonuria. Metabolism. 2005 Jun;54(6):719-28. PMID: 15931605.
- Gradstein L, FitzGibbon EJ, Tsilou ET, Rubin BI, Huizing M, Gahl WA. Eye movement abnormalities in hermansky-pudlak syndrome. J AAPOS. 2005 Aug;9(4):369-78. PMID: 16102489.
- Tang J, Tsilou E, Caruso RC, Rubin B, Gahl WA. Bilateral staphylomas in a patient with Hermansky-Pudlak syndrome. Retina. 2005 Jan;25(1):99-100. PMID: 15655453.
- Tsilou ET, Chan CC, Sandrini F, Rubin BI, Shen de F, Carney JA, Kaiser-Kupfer M, Stratakis CA. Eyelid myxoma in Carney complex without PRKAR1A allelic loss. Am J Med Genet A. 2004 Nov 1;130(4):395-7. PMID: 15368482.
- Tsilou E, Rubin BI, Abraham FA, Kaiser-Kupfer M. Bilateral late posterior chamber intraocular lens dislocation with the capsular bag in a patient with gyrate atrophy. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2004 Jul;30(7):1593-4. PMID: 15210246.
- Li S, Tiab L, Jiao X, Munier FL, Zografos L, Frueh BE, Sergeev Y, Smith J, Rubin B, Meallet MA, Forster RK, Hejtmancik JF, Schorderet DF. Mutations in PIP5K3 are associated with Francois-Neetens mouchetee fleck corneal dystrophy. Am J Hum Genet. 2005 Jul;77(1):54-63. Epub 2005 May 18.
- Goldbach-Mansky et al. Neonatal Onset Multisystem Inflammatory Disease response to interleukin-1 Beta inhibition: New England Journal Of Medicine 2006 Aug 10; 355 (6): 581-92 1.
- Toshio Fujisawa, Benjamin Rubin, Akiko Suzuki, Prabhudas S. Patel, William A. Gahl, Bharat H. Joshi, Raj K. Puri Cysteamine Suppresses Invasion And Metastasis And Prolongs Survival By Inhibiting Matrix Metallo Proteases In A Mouse Model Of Human Pancreatic Cancer. PLoS ONE 7(4): e34437. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0034437 (http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0034437)
Activities & Honors
- Appreciation Award for 15 years of Service in September, National Institutes of Health, 2003
- Richard Troutman SUNY Downstate Alumni Award in Ophthalmology, 2007
Videos & Media
Lectures and Presentations
New Anti inflammatory Drug on the Horizon
Howard University Ophthalmology 5 Annual Alumni Day Lecture (01/01/1991)
Clinical Pathologic Conference: 32 Year old Woman with Recalcitrant Uveitis
SUNY HSC-Brooklyn Alumni Day
Experience with the Molteno Glaucoma Implant in the Posterior Uveitis Population
International Glaucoma Symposium
Randomized Clinical Trial; Mitomycin Trabeculectomy and Molteno Glaucoma Implant
International Glaucoma Symposium
Co Chairman Glaucoma Awareness Week
Washington DC (01/01/1991)
Glaucoma-Health Section Senior Beacon September Issue
Diagnosis of Intraocular Large Cell Lymphoma
Complications of Corticosteroids and immunosuppressives
Molteno Implant in Uveitic Glaucoma
Howard University Ophthalmology 6 Annual Alumni Day Lecture
Co Chairman Glaucoma Awareness Week
Washington DC (01/01/1992)
Talk programs on WUDC
Parastic Disease of the Eye
Marymount University (01/08/1993)
Lectures on Modern Parisitology Challenge and Issues for the 1990's
Lecture at Cleveland Eye Clinic Lecture Series-Glaucoma To Treat or Not to Treat " Nuts and Bolts"
Red Eye Grand Rounds
Family Practice Providence Hospital
NEI Wednesday Lecture Series
Glaucoma: Clinical and Experimental Glaucoma
NEI Ocular Pathology Series
Assessment of Motor and Process Skills in Low Vision Patients
National Eye Institute
NEI Pathology Lecture Series-Glaucoma: Surgery and Research
Genetics of Fleck Dystrophy
Cornea Grand Rounds at Bascolm Palmer Eye Institute
Ophthalmic manifestations of patients with NOMID’/CINCA
NOMID Symposium at the NIH
Genetics of Fleck Dystrophy (01/01/2003)
Grand Rounds at University Southern California, Doheney Eye Institute
Mid Atlantic Update in Ophthalmology
Genetics of Rare Cornea Dystrophies (01/01/2003)
George Washington University
Genetics of Rare Cornea Dystrophies
University of Illinois