I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Kay Redfield Jamison, M.A., Ph.D.
Co-Director, Mood Disorders Center
Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Research Interests: Mood disorders; Suicide; Creativity and Temperament
- Co-Director, Mood Disorders Center
- Dalio Professor in Mood Disorders
- Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- B.A., University of California (Los Angeles) (California) (1971)
- M.A., University of California (Los Angeles) (California) (1971)
- Ph.D., University of California (Los Angeles) (California) (1975)
C. Phil, University of California, Los Angeles, California, 1973
Residency, Neuropsychiatric Institute at UCLA, Los Angeles, California, 1974, Clinical Psychology
Research & Publications
Goodwin, F. K. and Jamison, K. R. Manic-Depressive Illness. New York: Oxford University Press, 1990. (Manic-Depressive Illness: Bipolar Disorders and Recurrent Depression). Second edition, 2007.
Jamison, K. R. Touched With Fire: Manic-Depressive Illness and the Artistic Temperament. New York: Free Press (Macmillan), 1993.
Jamison, K. R. An Unquiet Mind. New York, Alfred A. Knopf, 1995. (Translated into 30 languages).
Jamision, K. R. Night Falls Fast: Understanding Suicide. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1999. (Translated into 25 languages).
Jamison, K. R. Exuberance: The Passion for Life. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2004.
Jamison, K. R. Nothing Was the Same: A Memoir. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2009.
Jamison, K. R. Robert Lowell, Setting the River on Fire: A Study of Genius, Mania, and Character. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2017
Activities & Honors
- MacArthur Award
- Lewis Thomas Prize
- Sarnet Prize from the National Academy of Medicine
- Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh
- Pulitzer Prize Finalist (for Robert Lowell: Setting the River on Fire)
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Brush with Madness, CBS News, August 19, 2018
'River on Fire' explores genius, madness and the poetry of Robert Lowell,NPR, February 28, 2017
Kay Redfield Jamison puts Robert Lowell on the couch in a fascinating biography,Washington Post, February 22, 2017
Kay Redfield Jamison on Exchanges of the Frontier, BBC World Service, March 1, 2014
Brain a ''Creativity Machine,'' If You Use It Right, USA Today, November 9, 2013
More Than a Million Blows to Discrimination, Hopkins Brain Wise, Summer 2013