I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Phillip Martin Pierorazio, M.D.
4.8 out of 5
Director, Division of Testis Cancer
Associate Professor of Urology
Expertise: Active Surveillance for Kidney Cancer, Active Surveillance of Prostate Cancer, Adrenal Surgery, Adrenalectomy, Bladder Cancer, Genitourinary Sarcoma, Kidney Cancer, Laparoscopic Adrenalectomy, Laparoscopic Nephrectomy, Nephron Sparing Surgery, Nephroureterectomy, Open Partial Nephrectomy, Partial Nephrectomy, Partial Orchiectomy, Prostate Cancer, Radical Orchiectomy, Retroperitoneal Lymph Node Dissection, Robotic Adrenalectomy, Robotic and Laparoscopic Surgery, Robotic Partial Nephrectomy, Robotic Prostatectomy, Robotic RPLND, Testicular Cancer, Testis Sparing Surgery, Transurethral Resection of Bladder Tumor, Upper Tract Urothelial Cancer, Urologic Surgery, Urology, Von Hippel-Lindau (VHL) ...read more
Research Interests: Kidney cancer; Renal-cell carcinoma; Urologic malignancies
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6100
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-7008
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Phillip Pierorazio is an Assistant Professor of Urology and Oncology in the Brady Urological Institute at Johns Hopkins University. Dr. Pierorazio is originally from New York, received his undergraduate degree from Georgetown University in Washington, DC and his medical degree from Columbia University, College of Physicians & Surgeons in New York City where he completed a Doris Duke Clinical Research Fellowship in Urologic Oncology.
Dr. Pierorazio has expertise in all malignancies of the urinary tract and performs both open and minimally-invasive surgeries including laparoscopic and robotic surgeries of the kidney, bladder, prostate and retroperitoneal lymph node dissection for testicular cancer. He has a special interest in kidney cancer, including partial nephrectomy for early stage disease and high-risk surgeries for patients with advanced cancers.
His research interests parallel his clinical practice, including high-risk prostate and urothelial cancer. He has a special interest in testicular and kidney cancer (renal cell carcinoma), studying both advanced and early-stage disease.
He runs the Delayed Intervention and Surveillance for Small Renal Masses (DISSRM) Registry - one of the largest active surveillance registries for patients with small kidney tumors. He sits on both the AUA and National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) Guidelines Committees for Kidney Cancer.
He is also the Director of the Division of Testicular Cancer, a member of the NCCN Guidelines committee, and works with a number of testicular cancer advocacy groups around the country. He runs the testicular cancer "Go-Team" and coordinates the departments research efforts in testicular cancer.
Dr. Pierorazio is the recipient of a number of academic awards including the American Urologic Association Essay Contest, NCCN Young Investigator Award, and has presented his research at a number of national and international meetings. He has written and published numerous research articles, textbook chapters, and video presentations in the field Urologic Oncology.
- Director, Division of Testis Cancer
- Director of Social Media
- Associate Professor of Urology
- Associate Professor of Oncology
- MD, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (2007)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Urology (2013)
- American Board of Urology / Urology (2015)
- Cancer Therapy Evaluation Program (CTEP)
- Maryland CDS (Controlled Dangerous Substances), Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
Research & Publications
Dr. Pierorazio’s primary research interest is high-risk urologic malignancies, with a focus on both early-stage and advanced renal- cell carcinoma.
He leads the Delayed Intervention and Surveillance for Small Renal Masses Registry—one of the largest studies of its kind—which follows patients who have small, localized kidney tumors (cT1a, ≤ 4 cm) and choose active surveillance or immediate surgery.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Pierorazio PM, Johnson MH, Ball MW, Gorin MA, Trock BJ, Chang P, Wagner AA, McKiernan JM, Allaf ME. Five-year Analysis of a Multi-institutional Prospective Clinical Trial of Delayed Intervention and Surveillance for Small Renal Masses: The DISSRM Registry. Eur Urol. 2015 Feb 16. pii: S0302-2838(15)00076-7. doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2015.02.001.
Harris KT, Shaikh SA, Ball MW, Allaf ME, Pierorazio PM. Management of Metachronous Bilateral Testis Cancer in a Patient with Pre-B Cell ALL. Case Rep Urol. 2015;2015:646875. doi: 10.1155/2015/646875. Epub 2015 Feb 3.
Patel HD, Ball MW, Cohen JE, Kates M, Pierorazio PM, Allaf ME. Morbidity of urologic surgical procedures: an analysis of rates, risk factors, and outcomes. Urology. 2015 Mar;85(3):552-60. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2014.11.034.
Ball MW, Gorin MA, Jayram G, Pierorazio PM, Allaf ME. Robot-assisted radical nephrectomy with inferior vena cava tumor thrombectomy: technique and initial outcomes. Can J Urol. 2015 Feb;22(1):7666-70.
Faisal FA, Sundi D, Pierorazio PM, Ball MW, Humphreys EB, Han M, Epstein JI, Partin AW, Carter HB, Bivalacqua TJ, Schaeffer EM, Ross AE. Outcomes of men with an elevated prostate-specific antigen (PSA) level as their sole preoperative intermediate- or high-risk feature. BJU Int. 2014 Dec;114(6b):E120-9. doi: 10.1111/bju.12771. Epub 2014 Aug 13.
Sundi D, Wang V, Pierorazio PM, Han M, Partin AW, Tran PT, Ross AE, Bivalacqua TJ. "Identification of men with the highest risk of early disease recurrence after radical prostatectomy." Prostate. 2014 Jan 22. doi: 10.1002/pros.22780. [Epub ahead of print]
Harris KT, Ball MW, Gorin MA, Curtiss KM, Pierorazio PM, Allaf M. "Transperitoneal Robot-Assisted Partial Nephrectomy: a Comparison of Posterior and Anterior Renal Masses." J Endourol. 2014 Jan 14. [Epub ahead of print]
Patel HD, Kates M, Pierorazio PM, Hyams ES, Gorin MA, Ball MW, Bhayani SB, Hui X, Thompson CB, Allaf ME. "Survival After Diagnosis of Localized T1a Kidney Cancer: Current Population-based Practice of Surgery and Nonsurgical Management." Urology. 2014 Jan;83(1):126-33. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2013.08.088. Epub 2013 Nov 16.
Kates M, Gorin MA, Deibert CM, Pierorazio PM, Schoenberg MP, McKiernan JM, Bivalacqua TJ. "In-hospital death and hospital-acquired complications among patients undergoing partial cystectomy for bladder cancer in the United States." Urol Oncol. 2014 Jan;32(1):53.e9-53.e14. doi: 10.1016/j.urolonc.2013.08.024. Epub 2013 Nov 13.
Sundi D, Wang VM, Pierorazio PM, Han M, Bivalacqua TJ, Ball MW, Antonarakis ES, Partin AW, Schaeffer EM, Ross AE. "Very-high-risk localized prostate cancer: definition and outcomes." Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2013 Nov 5. doi: 10.1038/pcan.2013.46. [Epub ahead of print]
Activities & Honors
- Resident Teaching Award, Brady Urological Institute, 2014
- William F. Rienhoff Jr, MD Scholar, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 2014
- AUA Research Forum Candidate, Poster Presentation “Delayed Interventions and Surveillance for Small Renal Masses”, Nominated by the Mid-Atlantic AUA Section Board of Directors, 2013
- AUA Essay Prize Winner, 2nd Place, American Urological Association, 2012
- Best Clinical Case Presentation, American Urological Association Residents' Day, 2012
- Frank L. Coulson Jr. Award for Clinical Excellence, Johns Hopkins Center for Innovative Medicine, 2012
- Outstanding Surgical Intern Award, Johns Hopkins University and Hospital, 2008
- Arnold P. Gold Humanism in Medicine Award, Arnold P. Gold Foundation, 2007
- Lawrence J. Durante Scholarship, Columbia University, 2007
- Eastern Atlantic Student Research Forum Travel Award Winner, 2006
- American Board of Urology, 2015
- Society of Urologic Oncology (SUO), 2014
- Mid-Atlantic American Urological Association, 2014
- Maryland Urological Association, 2014
- Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG), 2014
- American Medical Association (AMA), 2014
- Endourological Society, 2008
- American Urological Association (AUA), 2007
- Board of Directors, Testicular Cancer Awareness Foundation (TCAF), 2014
- Medical Expert, Mr. Ballsy (mrballsy.com), 2014
Videos & Media
Kidney Cancer: A Multi-Disciplinary Approach
Philip Martin Pierorazio, M.D. | Urologic Oncologist, Johns Hopkins Brady Urological Institute