I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Kirti Shetty, M.D.
Director of Hepatology, Sibley Memorial Hospital
Expertise: Acute or Chronic Viral Hepatitis, Gastroenterology, Liver Cancer, Liver Transplant, Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
Request an Appointment
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Sibley Memorial Hospital
Appointment Phone: 202-660-5555
5255 Loughboro Road NW
Washington, DC 20016 map
Dr. Kirti Shetty is the director of hepatology at Sibley Memorial Hospital’s Hepatology Multidisciplinary Center and an associate professor of medicine at Johns Hopkins University. She is board certified in gastroenterology and transplant hepatology, and practices out of Sibley Memorial Hospital in Washington, D.C. and Johns Hopkins Community Physicians - Ballston Medical Center in Arlington, Va.
Dr. Shetty has an expertise in liver cancer, liver transplant, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and viral hepatitis.
Dr. Shetty earned her medical degree from Christian Medical College. She completed a residency in internal medicine at Stanley Medical College, as well as at Cleveland Clinic. Dr. Shetty’s fellowship in gastroenterology was completed at University of Connecticut Health Center, followed by her fellowship in hepatology at Mount Sinai Medical Center. She previously served as the medical director of liver transplantation and a professor of medicine and surgery at Georgetown University, where she continues as an adjunct professor. Dr. Shetty established the transplant hepatology service line at Georgetown University Hospital and initiated and directed the ACGME-accredited transplant hepatology fellowship program.
Dr. Shetty is a member of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, the American College of Gastroenterology, the American Gastroenterological Association and the American Society of Transplantation. She has won numerous awards, including the Gwenda Lewis Prize in Anesthesiology; the Ida Scudder Prize for the Humanities in Medicine; the American College of Gastroenterology Auxiliary Award; and the ACG Junior Faculty Career Development Award.
Dr. Shetty has contributed to numerous publications in journals and textbooks, clinical trials and presentations. Her research focuses on mechanisms of hepatocarcinogenesis in cirrhosis, as well as exploring biomarkers for hepatocellular carcinoma and chemopreventive approaches in patients with cirrhosis.
- Director of Hepatology, Sibley Memorial Hospital
Centers & Institutes
- MBBS, Christian Medical College (1989)
- Stanley Medical College and Hospital / Internal Medicine (1992)
- Cleveland Clinic / Internal Medicine (1997)
- UConn John Dempsey Hospital / Gastroenterology (2000)
- Mount Sinai Medical Center / Hepatology (2001)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Gastroenterology (2000)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Transplant Hepatology (2006)
Activities & Honors
- First certificates of Honor: Physiology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Medicine and Surgery, 1985
- Gwenda Lewis Prize in Anesthesiology, 1988
- Ida Scudder Prize for the Humanities in Medicine, 1988
- Outstanding Resident Research Award, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 1997
- American College of Gastroenterology Auxiliary Award, 1997
- AASLD-Schering Advanced Hepatology Fellowship Award, 2001
- ACG Junior Faculty Career Development Award, 2002
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, 2000
- American College of Gastroenterology, 1997
- American Gastroenterological Association, 1997
- American Society of Transplantation, 2002
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Liver Care and Transplant for D.C. Area Patients, Inside Tract (Summer, 2016)