I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Richard Gelfand, M.D.
Specializes in: Adults (18+ years)
Expertise: Colitis, Colonoscopy, Colorectal Cancer Screening, Crohn's Disease, Gastroenterology, Hepatitis, Hiatal Hernia, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Peg Placement, Upper Endoscopy ...read more
Capital Digestive Care
Appointment Phone: 301-493-5210
10215 Fernwood Road
Bethesda, MD 20817 map
Originally from New York, Dr. Richard Gelfand, received his undergraduate degree in 1975 from the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. He continued his education at Georgetown University Medical School, where he graduated in 1979 as a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society.
In addition to research projects and publications, Dr. Gelfand has performed Peer Review for the Maryland State Medical Society and is a member of the Quality Assurance Committee at Suburban Endoscopy Center. He is also active on the lecture circuit to both lay and professional audiences, including speaking to community groups and teaching Gastroenterology Board Review courses for other physicians. Dr. Gelfand has been recognized by his peers as a “Top Doctor” in Washingtonian magazine.
Dr. Gelfand is married with three children and enjoys spending time with his family. His other interests include tennis, basketball and coaching youth soccer.
To learn more about Dr. Richard Gelfand, visit CapitalDigestiveCare.com.
Departments / Divisions
- Medicine at Sibley Memorial Hospital
- Medicine at Suburban Hospital
- MD, Georgetown University School of Medicine (1979)
- Georgetown University School of Medicine / Internal Medicine (1982)
- George Washington University Hospital / Gastroenterology (1984)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Gastroenterology (1985)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1982)
Activities & Honors
- Top Doctor, Washingtonian magazine, 2014
- Peer Review, Maryland State Medical Society
- American Gastroenterological Association
- Bethesda Endoscopy Center
- Chevy Chase Endoscopy Center
- Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America
- Member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
- Member of the Quality Assurance Committee at Suburban Endoscopy Center
- Montgomery County Medical Society
- William Earl Clark Society (Washington Society of Gastroenterology)