I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Timothy Kien Amukele, M.D., Ph.D.
Medical Director, Makerere University-Johns Hopkins University Research Collaboration Core Laboratory
Assistant Professor of Pathology
Languages: English, French
Research Interests: Non-communicable diseases in sub-Sarharan Africa; Quality of clinical laboratories in sub-Saharan Africa
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Timothy Amukele is an assistant professor of pathology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He is also the medical director of the Makerere University-Johns Hopkins University laboratory in Kampala, Uganda; the Laboratory co-Investigator for the Johns Hopkins Malawi Clinical Trials Unit in Blantyre, Malawi; and the associate director for clinical pathology programs for Pathologists Overseas Inc.. He is a diplomate of the American Board of Pathology. His research interests are twofold: the quality and impact of clinical laboratories in developing countries, and chronic diseases in sub-Saharan Africa.
Dr. Amukele earned his MD and PhD from Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University. He completed his residency at the University of Washington Medical Center in clinical pathology and performed a fellowship at the University of Washington Medical Center.
- Medical Director, Makerere University-Johns Hopkins University Research Collaboration Core Laboratory
- Co-Investigator, Johns Hopkins Malawi Clinical Trials Unit
- Assistant Professor of Pathology
Departments / Divisions
- Pathology - Immunopathology
Centers & Institutes
- MD PhD, Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University (2006)
- University of Washington Medical Center / Clinical Pathology
- University of Washington Medical Center (2010)
- American Board of Pathology / Clinical Pathology (2009)
Research & Publications
Dr. Amukele's research interests are twofold: clinical laboratories and chronic diseases in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). His goal is to drive the conversation about both issues by studying, documenting, and publicizing facts about them, such as;
- How many clinical labs are there?
- What is the quality of the work these labs do?
- How much do they charge for their tests?
- Are people getting value for the money being invested?
- What is the profile of individuals with kidney disease in SSA?
He has created a laboratory quality assurance that has been deployed in Eritrea, Bhutan, Uganda and Malawi. He aims to create a system of laboratory quality assurance that produces measurable results in settings that do not have the regulatory buttress we have in the US.
He's interested in studying the etiology of chronic disease in Sub-Saharan Africa. Sub-Saharan Africa is especially attractive for elucidating disease mechanisms because it is the most genetically diverse region in the world, and reflects the biological and physical conditions where modern humans evolved. Current projects include: epidemiology and etiology of acute kidney injury in ambulatory patients in Kampala; and epidemiology and etiology of acute kidney injury in ambulatory patients in Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital in Blantyre, Malawi.
- Timothy K. Amukele, Lori J. Sokoll, Daniel Pepper, Dana P. Howard, Jeff Street. Impact of Unmanned Aerial System (Drone) Transport on Routine Chemistry, Hematology, and Coagulation Laboratory Results. Submitted
- Lee Schroeder, Ali Elbireer, J. Brooks Jackson, Timothy K. Amukele. Laboratory Test Availability and Cost in Kampala, Uganda. Submitted
- Robert Kaleyesubula, Timothy K. Amukele. A 4-year survey of the spectrum of renal disease at the Mulago Hospital Renal Outpatient Clinic, Uganda Kidney International 2015 Mar; 87:663
- Amukele TK, Lee Shroeder, J. Brooks Jackson, Ali Elbireer. Most clinical laboratory testing in kampala occurs in high-volume, high-quality laboratories or low-volume, low-quality laboratories: a tale of two cities. Am J Clin Pathol. 2015 Jan;143(1):50-6
- Schroeder LF, Amukele T. Medical laboratories in sub-saharan Africa that meet international quality standards. Am J Clin Pathol. 2014 Jun;141(6):791-5.
- Elbireer AM, Jackson JB, Sendagire H, Opio A, Bagenda D, Amukele TK. The good, the bad, and the unknown: quality of clinical laboratories in Kampala, Uganda. PLoS One. 2013 May 30;8(5):e64661.
- Amukele TK, Michael K, Hanes M, Miller RE, Jackson JB. External quality assurance performance of clinical research laboratories in sub-saharan Africa. Am J Clin Pathol. 2012 Nov;138(5):720-3.
Activities & Honors
- American Board of Pathology