I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Timothy Kien Amukele, M.D., Ph.D.
Chief of Pathology, Clinical Laboratories Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Associate Professor of Pathology
Languages: English, French
Research Interests: Clinical laboratories in sub-Saharan Africa; Non-communicable diseases in sub-Sarharan Africa
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Timothy Amukele is an Assistant professor in the Department of Pathology at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. His expertise is in clinical laboratories in developing countries and for this he has pioneered several innovations, including the use of medical drones in hard-to-reach places, and the List of Essential Diagnostics, which has been adopted by the WHO.
Dr. Amukele is the chief of Pathology and the Director of Clinical Laboratories at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center. He is also the Medical Director of research laboratories in Uganda and Malawi, as well as the President of Pathologist’s Overseas Inc., a US-based non-profit organization dedicated to developing sustainable histopathology and laboratory medicine services in low- and middle-income countries.
Dr. Amukele earned his MD and PhD from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University and completed his residency in Clinical Pathology at the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington. He is a diplomate of the American Board of Pathology.
- Chief of Pathology, Clinical Laboratories Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Director, Clinical Laboratories Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Associate Professor of Pathology
Departments / Divisions
- Pathology - Immunopathology
Centers & Institutes
- MD PhD, Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University (2006)
- University of Washington Medical Center / Clinical Pathology (1900)
- University of Washington Medical Center (2010)
- American Board of Pathology / Clinical Pathology (2009)
Research & Publications
Dr. Amukele’s scholarly work is focused on the diagnostic clinical laboratory systems in low and middle-income countries (LMICs), and in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) in particular. For this work, he has pioneered three innovations.
- Surveyed SSA laboratories by designing a snowball sampling method to identify hard-to-find diagnostic clinical laboratories in LMICs. This resulted in the first comprehensive survey of clinical laboratories in an SSA city as well as a second one for the continent. His approach for comprehensive surveys of clinical laboratories in low-resourced settings has been adopted widely and is being rolled out as a Gates Foundation-funded initiative in several African countries, in collaboration with the African Society for Laboratory Medicine.
- Proposed and published a list of Essential Diagnostic Tests (similar to the WHO list of essential medicines) to help guide countries and other large funders investing in clinical laboratories. In March 2017 the WHO Expert Committee on Selection and Use of Medicines announced their intent to develop an Essential Diagnostics List based on this work.
- Pioneered the use of medical drones to transport clinical laboratory samples in places that are geographically challenged.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Timothy Amukele, James Hernandez, Christine Snozek, Ryan Wyatt, Matthew Douglas, Richard Amini, Jeff Street. Drone Transport of Chemistry and Hematology Samples over Long Distances. Am J Clin Pathol. 2017 Nov 2;148(5):427-435 PMID:29016811
Lee Frederick Schroeder, Jeannette Guarner, Ali Elbireer, Philip E Castle, Timothy Amukele. Time for a Model List of Essential Diagnostics. N Engl J Med. 2016 Jun 30;374(26):2511-4 PMID: 27355530
Amukele TK, Lee Shroeder. Medical laboratories in sub-Saharan Africa that meet international quality standards. Am J Clin Pathol. 2014 Jun;141(6):791-5.
Activities & Honors
- American Board of Pathology