I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Jennifer L. Wolff, Ph.D.
Joint Appointment in Medicine
Research Interests: Health services; Gerontology; Long-term care; Family caregiving; Assistive technology; Chronic disease and disability
Dr. Jennifer L. Wolff is an associate professor of Health Policy and Management at the Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health. She holds a joint appointment at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
Dr. Wolff’s areas of clinical expertise are geriatric medicine and gerontology. Also a health-services researcher, she investigates community-based chronic and long-term care delivery for frail and multi-morbid older adults, with a particular emphasis on family caregiving.
She is a core member of both the Roger C. Lipitz Center for Integrated Health Care and the Center for Health Services and Outcomes Research.
Dr. Wolff earned her PhD in health services research and her MHS in health finance and management – both at Johns Hopkins. She also holds a BA in economics from Bucknell University.
Her research interests include health services, gerontology, long-term care, family caregiving, assistive technology and chronic disease and disability.
Among her many professional recognitions, Dr. Wolff served as the 2013-2014 Atlantic Philanthropies Health and Aging Policy Fellow and as a Scholar with the National Institute of Mental Health Advanced Research Institute in Geriatric Psychiatry in 2012-2014.
She is a member of professional organizations that include the Gerontological Society of America and AcademyHealth.
- Joint Appointment in Medicine
Research & Publications
Dr. Wolff investigates community-based chronic and long-term care delivery for older adults who are frail and suffer from multi-morbidities.
With a special focus on family caregiving, Dr. Wolff seeks to better understand how the composition and experience of family caregivers is changing over time, how family caregivers navigate the medical system to facilitate health care for the elders for whom they care, and the role of the medical community in supporting family caregivers.
Clinical Trial KeywordsHome-based dementia care
Colligan EM, Pines JM, Colantuoni E, Howell B, Wolff JL. "Risk Factors for Persistent Frequent Emergency Department Use in Medicare Beneficiaries." Ann Emerg Med. 2016 Jun;67(6):721-9. doi: 10.1016/j.annemergmed.2016.01.033. Epub 2016 Mar 3.
Wolff JL, Spillman BC, Freedman VA, Kasper JD. "A National Profile of Family and Unpaid Caregivers Who Assist Older Adults With Health Care Activities." JAMA Intern Med. 2016 Mar 1;176(3):372-9. doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2015.7664.
Anderson GF, Ballreich J, Bleich S, Boyd C, DuGoff E, Leff B, Salzburg C, Wolff J. "Attributes common to programs that successfully treat high-need, high-cost individuals." Am J Manag Care. 2015 Nov 1;21(11):e597-600.
Bleich SN, Sherrod C, Chiang A, Boyd C, Wolff J, DuGoff E, Salzberg C, Anderson K, Leff B, Anderson G. "Systematic Review of Programs Treating High-Need and High-Cost People With Multiple Chronic Diseases or Disabilities in the United States, 2008-2014." Prev Chronic Dis. 2015 Nov 12;12:E197. doi: 10.5888/pcd12.150275.
Wolff JL, Boyd CM. "A Look at Person- and Family-Centered Care Among Older Adults: Results from a National Survey [corrected]." J Gen Intern Med. 2015 Oct;30(10):1497-504. doi: 10.1007/s11606-015-3359-6. Epub 2015 May 2.
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Courses and Syllabi
Health Issues for Aging Populations
Health Issues for Aging Populations
Activities & Honors
- Atlantic Philanthropies Health and Aging Policy Fellow, The Atlantic Philanthropies and the John A. Hartford Foundation, 2013 - 2014
- Scholar, National Institute of Mental Health Advanced Research Institute in Geriatric Psychiatry, 2012 - 2014
- Student-rated teaching excellence in the classroom, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2009 - 2013
- Fellow, Summer Research Institute in Geriatric Psychiatry, National Institute of Mental Health, 2006
- Marilyn Bergner Award in Health Services Research, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2002
- Services Dissertation Grant Award, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid, 2002
- Student Conference Presentation Award, Department of Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2001 - 2002
- National Research Service Award Pre-Doctoral Fellowship, Agency for Health Care Research and Quality Training Fellowship Program, 1999 - 2001
- Delta Omega Honor Society for Public Health, Alpha Chapter, 1995
- John P. Young Memorial Award, Department of Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, 1994
- Gerontological Society of America