I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Elizabeth Selvin, M.P.H., Ph.D.
Co-Director, Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology Training Program, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Joint Appointment in Medicine
Research Interests: Epidemiology; Diabetes; Cardiovascular disease; Obesity; Biomarkers; Diagnostics; Policy
Dr. Elizabeth Selvin holds a joint appointment in medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She is a professor of epidemiology at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
Dr. Selvin’s research focuses on diabetes and cardiovascular epidemiology. Her work on the association of hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) with complications and its role in the diagnosis of diabetes has directly influenced clinical practice guidelines.
She serves as the co-director of the Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology Training Program at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
Her team is currently engaged in the study of biomarkers and diagnostics relevant to diabetes and its complications.
Dr. Selvin received her B.A. from Northwestern University. She earned her M.P.H. from the University of Michigan and her Ph.D. from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
In 2013, Dr. Selvin received the Harry Keen Memorial Award from the International Diabetes Epidemiology Group of the International Diabetes Federation for her contributions to the field of diabetes. She is a principal investigator of grants from the National Institutes of Health, the American Heart Association and the National Kidney Foundation.
- Co-Director, Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology Training Program, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Joint Appointment in Medicine
Research & Publications
Dr. Selvin is interested in the intersection of epidemiology and clinical and public health policy. Much of her work focuses on the study of biomarkers and diagnostics related to diabetes and its complications. A principal goal of her research is to use epidemiologic research to improve the screening, diagnosis and treatment of diabetes, cardiovascular disease and kidney disease.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Selvin E, Parrinello CM, Sacks DB, Coresh J. "Trends in prevalence and control of diabetes in the United States, 1988-1994 and 1999-2010." Ann Intern Med. 2014 Apr 15;160(8):517-25
Selvin E, Rawlings AM, Grams M, Klein R, Sharrett AR, Steffes M, Coresh J. "Fructosamine and glycated albumin for risk stratification and prediction of incident diabetes and microvascular complications: A prospective cohort analysis of the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study." Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2014 Apr;2(4):279-88
Selvin E, Steffes MW, Ballantyne CM, Hoogeveen RC, Coresh J, Brancati FL. "Racial differences in glycemic markers: A cross-sectional analysis of community-based data." Ann Intern Med. 2011 Mar 1;154(5):303-9
Selvin E, Steffes MW, Zhu H, Matsushita K, Wagenknecht L, Pankow J, Coresh J, Brancati FL. "Glycated hemoglobin, diabetes, and cardiovascular risk in nondiabetic adults." N Engl J Med. 2010 Mar 4;362(9):800-11. PMID: 20200384
Selvin E, Marinopoulos S, Berkenblit G, Rami T, Brancati FL, Powe NR, Golden SH. "Meta-analysis: Glycosylated hemoglobin and cardiovascular disease in diabetes mellitus." Ann Intern Med. 2004 Sep 21;141(6):421-31. PMID: 15381515
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Courses and Syllabi
Epidemiologic Methods 1
Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Welch Center Research Seminar
Activities & Honors
- Advising, Mentoring and Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2015
- Harry Keen Memorial Award, International Diabetes Epidemiology Group, International Diabetes Federation, 2013
- Advising, Mentoring and Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2012
- Inductee, Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health, 2012
- Fellow, American Heart Association, 2012
- Dean’s Scholarship recipient, University of Michigan School of Public Health, 1999 - 2001
- Klare Memorial Scholarship recipient, University of Michigan School of Public Health, 1999 - 2001
- Phi Beta Kappa, Northwestern University, 1999
- Summa Cum Laude, Northwestern University
- American Heart Association
- Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health